Ruger American Predator scope change no accuracy.

TB2BLAZER

I went out and bought a Ruger American Predator in 6mm CM. I originally bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 with Warne rings. Shot it and had it sighted in within 4 shots and was hitting clover leaf groups at 100. Since I wanted to play around with it up to 1000 years I got to thinking that I would be better off with a FFP optic instead of the SFC Viper. So I went and returned the Viper and got the Vortex Venom 5-25×56 FFP and a new set of Warne rings to accommodate the bigger tube.
Since I had the old scope off I decided to try and lighten the trigger pull so I backed out the set screw a few turns. There was never any evidence of the stock hitting the barrel on the stock or the barrel but I checked again and ran a dollar down with no resistance. Screwed down Action lugs to 65 inch lbs. Took the new Warne rings and seated them as far forward so they sat right up against the rail. Tightened the side lugs on the rings to 65 inch lbs. Set the new scope in place and tightened ring caps criss cross pattern 16 inch pounds.
Shot it with 4 different types of ammo and it was terrible no matter what type ammo. Groups were no smaller than 4 or 5 inches at best. So after shooting about 10 rounds I knew something was wrong. So I took everything back apart. I Sanded down everything on the stock channel from the Lug forward so absolutely nothing was making contact. I adjusted the trigger pull screw back in. I made absolute sure the 2 contact points on the action were both contacting the stock lugs and tightened action lugs back to 65 inch pounds. Checked all 4 rail screw and made sure they were all at 16 inch pounds. Flipped the rings and swapped them re-torqued all fasteners to correct specs. Cleaned the rifle just in case. Went to shoot and again out of 2 different match grade ammo and 2 different hunting rounds nothing would group better than 4". I originally shot my first good shots with Harris Bipod and coat for a rear bag. With the new setup I tried taking the bipod off, tried it on, tried with same exact coat for rear bag, went out and bought a rear bag, shot from prone, shot from bench and nothing is working. This thing went from shooting great with a decent scope to shooting like dog **** with an even better scope.
I have a total of 80 rounds through this rifle and it will not shoot. I can shoot a sling shot better than this rifle. Is there anything I'm missing or might have overlooked? Any ideas where to go from here?

I went out and bought a Ruger American Predator in 6mm CM. I originally bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 with Warne rings. Shot it and had it sighted in within 4 shots and was hitting clover leaf groups at 100. Since I wanted to play around with it up to 1000 years I got to thinking that I would be better off with a FFP optic instead of the SFC Viper. So I went and returned the Viper and got the Vortex Venom 5-25×56 FFP and a new set of Warne rings to accommodate the bigger tube.
Since I had the old scope off I decided to try and lighten the trigger pull so I backed out the set screw a few turns. There was never any evidence of the stock hitting the barrel on the stock or the barrel but I checked again and ran a dollar down with no resistance. Screwed down Action lugs to 65 inch lbs. Took the new Warne rings and seated them as far forward so they sat right up against the rail. Tightened the side lugs on the rings to 65 inch lbs. Set the new scope in place and tightened ring caps criss cross pattern 16 inch pounds.
Shot it with 4 different types of ammo and it was terrible no matter what type ammo. Groups were no smaller than 4 or 5 inches at best. So after shooting about 10 rounds I knew something was wrong. So I took everything back apart. I Sanded down everything on the stock channel from the Lug forward so absolutely nothing was making contact. I adjusted the trigger pull screw back in. I made absolute sure the 2 contact points on the action were both contacting the stock lugs and tightened action lugs back to 65 inch pounds. Checked all 4 rail screw and made sure they were all at 16 inch pounds. Flipped the rings and swapped them re-torqued all fasteners to correct specs. Cleaned the rifle just in case. Went to shoot and again out of 2 different match grade ammo and 2 different hunting rounds nothing would group better than 4". I originally shot my first good shots with Harris Bipod and coat for a rear bag. With the new setup I tried taking the bipod off, tried it on, tried with same exact coat for rear bag, went out and bought a rear bag, shot from prone, shot from bench and nothing is working. This thing went from shooting great with a decent scope to shooting like dog **** with an even better scope.
I have a total of 80 rounds through this rifle and it will not shoot. I can shoot a sling shot better than this rifle. Is there anything I'm missing or might have overlooked? Any ideas where to go from here?
Put your first scope back on & try it. Or another scope you know is fine.

Thanks for posting. This is a good illustration of why fooling with stuff ( taking things apart, unscrewing stuff, etc., etc. ) , particularly stuff that`s working pretty well, has always made me REALLY nervous!

My first inclination is the scope is bad. Vortex has a great warranty, but it probably gets used more than any other brand.

Are you shooting the same ammo which shot great out of the rifle originally?

I wouldn't worry about taking the rifle apart and putting it back together. It is supposed to do that and it shouldn't hurt accuracy, assuming you do it correctly, which it seems like you are.

The only consideration I will add for a change is your scope ring torque specs. I know different brands have slightly different recommended torques, but over on rokslide in the threads on scope durability, the guy swears by 20 in/lbs dry or 16 in/lbs wet (loctite). He documented scopes shifting in the rings with 16 in/lbs dry, though that was after intentionally dropping them and not from just firing them.

My first inclination is the scope is bad. Vortex has a great warranty, but it probably gets used more than any other brand.

Are you shooting the same ammo which shot great out of the rifle originally?

I wouldn't worry about taking the rifle apart and putting it back together. It is supposed to do that and it shouldn't hurt accuracy, assuming you do it correctly, which it seems like you are.

The only consideration I will add for a change is your scope ring torque specs. I know different brands have slightly different recommended torques, but over on rokslide in the threads on scope durability, the guy swears by 20 in/lbs dry or 16 in/lbs wet (loctite). He documented scopes shifting in the rings with 16 in/lbs dry, though that was after intentionally dropping them and not from just firing them.
I did shoot the same ammo that shot great and 3 other types. Never shot worth a **** after the scope change. Thank you for the reply.

I have no clue what the action screws were torqued to before I took them off initially. Tried it again today, new mounts and a scope I already had and it still shot like ****. On the picture shots 1-4 were at 100 yards and 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3 was at 65 yards. I was really hoping it was the scope. I guess I will try taking the barrel and action back off and see if I can see anything. Anyone else have and ideas where to go with this? Contact Ruger I guess? Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• 20231222_140021.jpg
    20231222_140021.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 26