Ruger American Predator scope change no accuracy.

Just got off the phone with Ruger. From what the customer service agent on the phone said they had to replace the entire barrel! She did not say what was wrong with the old one but she stated there should be additional info on the packing slip when I get the gun. I'm so relieved that an issue was found and resolved. Hopefully I can finally see what all the hype is about these rifles! Outstanding customer service from Ruger yet again.

Glad to hear it. So can you ship a rifle back to the manufacturer or did it have to go through an ffl?

I went out and bought a Ruger American Predator in 6mm CM. I originally bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 with Warne rings. Shot it and had it sighted in within 4 shots and was hitting clover leaf groups at 100. Since I wanted to play around with it up to 1000 years I got to thinking that I would be better off with a FFP optic instead of the SFC Viper. So I went and returned the Viper and got the Vortex Venom 5-25Ă—56 FFP and a new set of Warne rings to accommodate the bigger tube.
Since I had the old scope off I decided to try and lighten the trigger pull so I backed out the set screw a few turns. There was never any evidence of the stock hitting the barrel on the stock or the barrel but I checked again and ran a dollar down with no resistance. Screwed down Action lugs to 65 inch lbs. Took the new Warne rings and seated them as far forward so they sat right up against the rail. Tightened the side lugs on the rings to 65 inch lbs. Set the new scope in place and tightened ring caps criss cross pattern 16 inch pounds.
Shot it with 4 different types of ammo and it was terrible no matter what type ammo. Groups were no smaller than 4 or 5 inches at best. So after shooting about 10 rounds I knew something was wrong. So I took everything back apart. I Sanded down everything on the stock channel from the Lug forward so absolutely nothing was making contact. I adjusted the trigger pull screw back in. I made absolute sure the 2 contact points on the action were both contacting the stock lugs and tightened action lugs back to 65 inch pounds. Checked all 4 rail screw and made sure they were all at 16 inch pounds. Flipped the rings and swapped them re-torqued all fasteners to correct specs. Cleaned the rifle just in case. Went to shoot and again out of 2 different match grade ammo and 2 different hunting rounds nothing would group better than 4". I originally shot my first good shots with Harris Bipod and coat for a rear bag. With the new setup I tried taking the bipod off, tried it on, tried with same exact coat for rear bag, went out and bought a rear bag, shot from prone, shot from bench and nothing is working. This thing went from shooting great with a decent scope to shooting like dog **** with an even better scope.
I have a total of 80 rounds through this rifle and it will not shoot. I can shoot a sling shot better than this rifle. Is there anything I'm missing or might have overlooked? Any ideas where to go from here?
I have a relatively new Go Live camo in 7 PRC, one of the things I noticed when the Factory trigger pull was lightened, I saw what I thought was more variable trigger pull weight. I verified this variability with my trigger pull gauge, the variability it was about 1.5lbs every three or four pulls, what was weird as two pulls measured at the lightest would be close, one would be off at the extreme heavier pull weight and two would be close in between. My groups showed a similar pattern in my five shot groups, two on top of each other, one flyer and two on top of each other. I did play around with adjusting the trigger but the variability was still present. I wound up replacing the trigger with a Jard. I did not notice during my initial zero with the original trigger with the groups opening up that large. I am running the same scope you have, with the Vortex paired rings. On mine the rail was integral to the receiver from the factory. I did raise my cheek with bear paw cheek riser up about an inch. I had another issue with my action that I sent my rifle into Ruger and that was repaired, the Ruger group showed a similar pattern with as mine with the factory trigger their group was about 1.5 inches which was about what I was getting 1.4- 3.5 with the Hornaday. The Jard gets me a more consistent 0.9-1,6 " used the federal ammo in my post trigger upgrade test, still need to shoot with the cheek adjustment. Timney makes a trigger as well, good luck.

TB2BLAZER they most likely fired the rifle,be sure to clean it before you shoot it.Get it spotless!
Since when did test firing a barrel foul it enough to require cleaning to a bare bore (or "spotless" in your words)?
The only excuse/reason I can even fathom would be using monometal bullets.
Or do I have something to learn here?
Have a great day and stay warm!
- sent from the frigid snow cover mountain of the Southern Ozarks.

Since when did test firing a barrel foul it enough to require cleaning to a bare bore (or "spotless" in your words)?
The only excuse/reason I can even fathom would be using monometal bullets.
Or do I have something to learn here?
Have a great day and stay warm!
- sent from the frigid snow cover mountain of the Southern Ozarks.
In the past 55 years of buying them I have never bought a new rifle that did not need cleaning!They test fire them to test pressure,then test fire for accuracy and that leaves a new tight barrel dirty.
Do as you wish on yours bur every fire arm I buy,used or new gets a clean bore,spotless.