Ruger American Predator

Litehiker

Ruger has just expanded its American line with the Predator series. It has a sage green stock and a "varmint weight" barrel with a threaded muzzle cap, should you want to attach a muzzle brake or suppressor.

Otherwise it is the same action, stock and trigger as the original American. I'm selling my American 22-250 and only wish the Predator model would have been out when I was looking to buy an American back in February.

I've ordered one but will have to wait until they come out in 6.5 Creedmoor, probably in August. I'll use it for both long range competition and coyote hunting here in southern Nevada. I plan to mount my Bushnell ERS 3.5-21 X 50 scope on it. With its H59 reticle it should be good for quick second shots with no turret turning.

And there will be some minor mods such as a Karsten adjustable cheek piece, RTV filling in the forearm and butt stock (recoil mitigation and better balance), a Muscle Brake and QR flush cups to replace the sling studs (easier to shoot off a rest).

7mag,

Is the JP tactical brake "timed" so the vents are only horizontal? I don't want a brake kicking up dust when I'm shooting prone. The Muscle Brake, among others, requires theading so it is "timed" to sit the vents horizontally.

Yes the JP brake should be timed. A gunsmith would usually cut the threads timed to achieve a seamless joint, but I use a jam nut from JP on mine. They also offer a crush washer if you want a smoother seam. I like the jam nut so I can remove and replace after cleaning. Semiauto shooters like to use a jam nut to adjust the angle of the brake to compensate side force for rapid string shooting. On my bolt gun I keep the brake plumb (vertical) and the closed bottom doesn't kick up much dust/debris when shooting prone.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.