Ruger #1 guys

Tikkamike

I am wanting to buy a Ruger #1 but I HATE the quarter rib clamp on scope mount thing they have going on. I see that mount is obviously screwed to the barrel. does someone else make a scope mount with a better design that you can screw on there? I am looking at a 416 rigby or a 458 lott so I want something very solid.

I know one "solution" I didn't like-they make a rail that mounts via the dovetails in the quarter rib, I put a similar one on a 96/44, fit and finish sucked. Returned it a couple of times and apparently they're all that way. I doubt it sits any place close to square on the rifle. It works for a reflex (Burris Fastfire) on a .44 at 25 yards, but it doesn't inspire confidence to try more, and that model is to the receiver!

The Ruger 1V does not have a quarter rib. Base blocks are integral on the action and barrel.

I've had my #1 in 338win for ten years and never had any issues with it. The biggest thing is you may need to buy an extended ring and reverse it if you don't have a longer tube scope.
I even gave a guy scope eye with it ( his face hit hard enough to slide the scope) and I loosened the ring caps a bit and slid the scope back. No loose base or ring bottoms. So much for wanting to shoot the biggest rifle I had out that day.

I know one "solution" I didn't like-they make a rail that mounts via the dovetails in the quarter rib, I put a similar one on a 96/44, fit and finish sucked. Returned it a couple of times and apparently they're all that way. I doubt it sits any place close to square on the rifle. It works for a reflex (Burris Fastfire) on a .44 at 25 yards, but it doesn't inspire confidence to try more, and that model is to the receiver!

Is this the rail that you tried?

Ruger Number 1 and #3 Accessories - Hicks Harmonic Accurizer for the Ruger Number One with Keplinger Set Trigger and other Ruger #1 Accessories

Haven't tried it myself, but thought it looked promising.

I am wanting to buy a Ruger #1 but I HATE the quarter rib clamp on scope mount thing they have going on. I see that mount is obviously screwed to the barrel. does someone else make a scope mount with a better design that you can screw on there? I am looking at a 416 rigby or a 458 lott so I want something very solid.

I have never heard of strength issues with the Ruger quarter rib or the mounting provisions of the rings. The only issues I have heard of involve the clamping limitations of the factory Ruger rings and heavy scopes on hard recoiling rifles. Warne makes Ruger type rings that I would expect to be a bit better, in terms of clamping ability, than the factory rings.

I have also heard of barrel heat issues causing the quarter rib to distort, which causes wandering POI, but that is with long shot strings in smaller chamberings under varminting type conditions. I would not expect you to encounter a situation like that with a Rigby or Lott. Some say the fix is to elongate the mounting screw holes in the quarter rib to allow the barrel and quarter rib to expand and move independently as they heat up. I have never felt the need to do this with my #1, but I do not shoot long strings of fire with it.

No that one looks to be a better solution, especially if tapped for the heavier screws.

B square makes one that uses the dovetails just like the Ruger rings. Looking at the spacing of the dovetails on the rib, I suspect the one I'm talking about is for the 77/22, 96/44 only.

It was supposed to be Weaver/Picatinny compatible, They weren't Finally took a file to the last one.

I also had to shim the rail side to side. To make enough contact to secure the sight. The sight does fit every other Weaver style, base and rail in the house without issue.

In hindsight I should have just had it drilled and tapped. One of those projects that seemed very simple, but kind of crept out beyond that.

I should qualify that I'm not a very good hand with tools, but I don't think it was my minimal skills at issue. I suspect it was a Monday morning, following a long weekend of celebrating Chairman Mao's birthday.

I have a pic rail that uses the quarterib screws and fits snugly on top useing 3 of the qtr rib holes, it extends an inch back further giving a little more eye relief and a picatinny mount solution, then you can use any rings you choose. I like the setup and my 375 H&H has open sights so I use Quick release Leupold rings and I can take the scope off in the field and use open sights still.

I also had a picatinny rail custom built that goes over the quarter rib and uses the all 4 holes and the smith converted the holes to 8-40 screws I believe and loctited them in, it has an extra inch too, that rifle has no open sights. I could take a few pictures if you wish.

I have a pic rail that uses the quarterib screws and fits snugly on top useing 3 of the qtr rib holes, it extends an inch back further giving a little more eye relief and a picatinny mount solution, then you can use any rings you choose. I like the setup and my 375 H&H has open sights so I use Quick release Leupold rings and I can take the scope off in the field and use open sights still.

I also had a picatinny rail custom built that goes over the quarter rib and uses the all 4 holes and the smith converted the holes to 8-40 screws I believe and loctited them in, it has an extra inch too, that rifle has no open sights. I could take a few pictures if you wish.

If you wouldn't mind pictures of that would be great

That sounds like a solid solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.