Ruger #1 problems

7ultra

I own a Ruger number 1b chambered in 300 Winchester Mag. With 200 grain MK, it can shoot extremely well. However, after the first 3-5 shots, when the barrel is consistently warm, it starts to string out vertically. The problem is in the forearm. Is there any way to remedy this(glass bedding, boring out the channel etc)?

What I did was to free float the fore arm and bed it to the hanger. Make sure it doesn't touch the receiver either. My 25-06 shoots much better after doing this modification, no more stringing. Also with the 300 Win Mag you will have to let it cool after 5 rds anyways as the #1 doesn't have a real heavy barrel. JMHO
Wayne

Thanks for the advice
I usually pretty careful with the barrel, giving it atleast a minute to two in between shots. It just always seemed like she started stringing after the first or second group. Maybe it was because I was shooting it during the summer?(along with the bedding issue)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.