RSI Shooting Lab vs. Oehler 35 (w/3 skyscreens & printer)

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Lerch and I really need an upgrade in the chrono dept. I've definately narrowed it down to these two.

I was just wondering if the RSI is as accurate and if the extra features would be worth the extra $150. I have an old laptop that I can use w/it. Maybe the RSI is more than we need.

With the 3 skyscreens on the Oehler, do we need the 4' spacers?

I know this has been touched on before, but I just wanted some opinions before we rush out and buy something.

Thanks,
B.J.

Bill Bailey,
If you are only talking about the chronograph, 3 weeks ago I got my CED Millennium from RSI for $179.00, I'm very happy with it. Will store all of my strings in memory and (after you have saved your data into memory) you may turn it off while waiting for the barrel to cool down, turn it back on and the data is still in memory. You can remove the battery, yes! Remove the battery put it back in and your data is still there. Plug it into your computer when you get home using the provided cord and very quickly, there it is right in your computer. Look at the picture.

dpjwba.jpg

The asterisks (*) you see means that number I removed from the calculations but not from memory, of course you can remove it from memory also. you'll notice that the S.D. for (Standard Deviation)has no value, and the reason is that it has to have at least 5 entrees before it will give you the SD.
In the examples above, I was shooting a friend's 30-06 using H4831sc and accubond 200 grains bullets. I have been out using it twice, and twice I wrote down manually all the data just to make sure I was using right. My other chronograph is a Pact with the 2 feet screen separation, it's also a shot timer, both chronographs are measuring my best load within a couple of feet or so, but I won't know better until a place one right behind the other. Again, I'm very happy with my CED Millennium and it seems to be made of good quality components. When I get more coins I'll get their Ballistic Program which will also interface with the chronograph's data. Not to mention you can literally place your target on your computer screen and with the mouth click for each hole and will make a target analysis for you. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
I got this from some other website. Look at the picture.
dpk56v.jpg

Good luck with your decision; I do know how it goes. For the money, I don't believe you'll get a better deal; this is of course including the fact that the chronograph has to be reliable.

Bill,

I am also interested in the RSI. I have heard only good things so far, and that the IR unit is worth the cost adder and will work in the dark – I'm not sure why I would care about that?

I was also hoping for some feedback on their Pressure Trace unit. This looks really interesting for load development.

I downloaded their Exterior ballistics software and started to play with it. I was not impressed. It was difficult to use, poorly integrated, and did not incorporate standard Windows functions such as right mouse click, etc. The graphs looked really poor to me and functionality was not intuitive. Maybe since I am a software developer, I am being too picky, however, I expect decent software in this day and age.

Were you thinking about the Pressure Trace unit also? I was planning on getting the chrono if the feedback is good.

Yes, I was thinking of the whole package, chonos, software and all. I'm just afraid I may be getting more than I need. I kinda think all I may get out of the RSI is more headache.

We'll see what others have to say. Eaglet does make it sound very appealing though!!

Bill,

[ QUOTE ]
The graphs looked really poor to me and functionality was not intuitive. Maybe since I am a software developer, I am being too picky, however, I expect decent software in this day and age.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right, becuase I also downloaded the trial version and was very pleased with the quality of the graphics, the interface was simple and direct, jus a bit of reading and was able to use my monitor screen to bring group holes into the program for analysis. I thought interfacing with the program was easy and straigt foward. Not only that, it's definatelly one of the better if not the best ballistic software out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I haven't made my decision yet. I did get use and Oehler today and was impressed!!! I'm going to do some more digging around here and see if I can't find more info.

For the price and everything you get w/it, the RSI sounds almost too good to be true!!!

I truly believe you can't go wrong with either one. I know Oehler is an awesome chronograph and so is the CED Millennium! Good Luck to you which ever way you go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After talking to Jim @ RSI, I decided go w/his product. I bought the whole package, the infrared light and some extra pressure sensors.

Jim is a very nice guy and seems to be a straigh shooter. He didn't set there and tell me that his product was the best and that everyone else's is junk. He even told me that if I didn't buy his product to go w/the Oehler and don't look back. He made the pressure trace system sound pretty interesting. He knows his stuff. Just don't call unless you have AT LEAST 30 min to talk.

Went a little over budget, but what the hell. As long as I can get to the mailbox and retrieve the cc bill before the wife sees it I should be ok!!

Hope this thing is as advertised. Can't afford too many $700 mistakes!!

Bill Bailey,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm envious! I think I'll end up getting everything you did but a little slower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here when my buddy or my self buy something expensive, we ask each other: "Do you want me to talk to sister so and so" you know, the other guy's wife, being Christians and all... Since we're all friends here, let us know if you want us to talk to your wife! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think you'll be happy... Jim Ristow is an awesome guy, very knowledgeable guy. He will not cut you short and will explain what ever you need to know. When it comes to costumer service is the best I've seen! I got mine on a Friday afternoon, late that Friday I called Jim to tell him the Shot # was not being displayed right; I was leaving a message in the answering machine since it was past business hours, Jim picked up the phone and he talked to me, he gave me the time I needed, told me to use it over the weekend since it could still be used, asked me saying: <font color="blue">If possible don't scratch it... you're welcome to use it over the weekend.. </font> Coming Monday morning I had another CPU at my house before I could ship back the one I had. He shipped it air-overnight! Awesome service!
That kind of stuff doesn't happen a lot, but one can sleep in peace knowing that there is some excellent quality customer service where you placed your money!
<font color="blue">Mr. Jim Ristow, if you read this thanks for an excellent product and superior customer service. </font>
Javier O Moncada.

I originally thought the pressure trace system would just be used for finding max pressure, and questioned whether or not I needed it or whether I would ever use it. Jim then told me that if that is what I was going to use it for, I was mistaken. He then went into detail, explaining how the system worked and what I "would" be using it for. He also refered me to some of the articles on his website.

After talking to him and reading some of the articles, I began to see that the pressure trace system could be used in a similar manner to the famed "ladder test." Based on your bbls measurements(length, diameter @ different spots etc.), the program plots several nodes along the x axis. These are the theoretical sweet spots where you want the bullet to exit the bore. The program will show you where the bullet exits, all you have to do is adjust the powder charge so that it is on or at least close to one of the nodes.

Jim went into much more detail, and to be honest, much of it went right over my head. Once I get some hands on experience w/this thing, I'll let you guys know how well it works.

If it does work, it will no doubt be the best thing since sliced bread!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.