Oehler 35 $$$$$

Thanks Gary. I have two shooting chrony's and shoot with them in line too. Problem is they are 25 to 40 fps different. So I bought a Pact about a year ago and messed with it for a day and it never read one shot out of about 30 rounds. I sent it back. So, I plan to buy an Oehler, and I appreciate you letting me know about the set up.

Thanks
Jeff

If I were to but a new chronograph today, it would be a Pact without hesitation. The second one might be a CED, but honestly the Ohler would be number three at the highest. Their mounting system leads to nothing but problems, and I'm not in the mood to hunt up a bunch of extruded aluminum again to fix it. The screens must be strait and in line with each other to produce accurate readings, and unless you can leave the whole unit assembled all the time you have work to do. Electricley, it's an excellent piece of equipment, but it looks like they went down to some construction site and picked thru the dumpster for the mount. Accuracey wise there is no difference to speak of between the Pact and the Ohler, and I found that if one tossed out a shot the other did as well. One fellow shooter on this board ran some extensive tests (he's got a lot of hours involved in his tests), and found exactly one foot per second difference between the two (I found five to six). I can't see $100+ dollars difference between the two brands
gary

I have an old Oehler 35. I keep the screens mounted so the spacing between the screens is 4 feet, on an 8 foot plus rod. It has a quick release camera tripod at each end so it doesn't rotate in wind.

When I set it up I put the rifle on a benchrest, aim it at the target, and remove the bolt. Then I set up the screens, usually 10' from the muzzle to the first screen adjusting the two tripods looking back into the bore so the bullet will pass 4" above both end screens. I've color coded the cord plugs to match paint spost on the chorongraph's jacks and keep the cords bundled with tie wraps. It's quitck to set up with that routine . On going back to the bench and plugging in the cords it's ready to shoot with no further adjustments. The assembled screens fit in my SUV and hang on the garage wall still assembled at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts