Round count in a .308

jwcrabb

Hey Guys, Would anyone consider 600 rounds to be an excessive round count in a 308. I'm considering trading for a Remington 700 SPS Tactical that has 600+ down the tube. I have no experience with the .308. Being a Varmint hunter, I have shot double that amount thru my Prairie dog rifles at much greater velocity with no degrade of accuracy. Opinions?

Hey Guys, Would anyone consider 600 rounds to be an excessive round count in a 308. I'm considering trading for a Remington 700 SPS Tactical that has 600+ down the tube. I have no experience with the .308. Being a Varmint hunter, I have shot double that amount thru my Prairie dog rifles at much greater velocity with no degrade of accuracy. Opinions?

If the barrel has been cared for, It is just broke in. You should get thousands of round out of a 308.

If you know the owner and 600 is an honest round count you should be good to go.

If you have access to a bore scope the throat and lands will tell the story.

J E CUSTOM

My gunsmith is an old guy, who's been smithing for 50+ years. And barrel life got brought up last time, just in general conversation....And he said that the average person will not notice the difference in accuracy between 100 rounds and 10,000 rounds in a .308 Win. He said he has (in the past) had 700 customs he built that had over 10,000 rounds on a good quality barrel that he still shot 1K competitions with, and won. Just keep them clean, take care of it, and don't overheat it, and it should last you a lifetime, if you shoot occasionally.

I also think that you should be good to go with only 600rds down the tube. If it helps you in your decision I have a Remington 700 LTR in 308win and it's a consistant 0.5MOA gun with Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. I think you will be very happy with the accuracy of that rifle.gun)

I just bought a rem 700 VS, 26" with around 200 rounds on it. It looks just like a sendero, same stock and all. Can't wait for it to come, sounds like it will last. The guy ony shot 100 grain TAP ammo at varmints with it. He said it shot great. Kinda light for what I want to shoot it with. Any load ideas from someone that owns one?

A gunsmith friend of my dad's always told me that if I ever shot out a .308 barrel to put it on a wooden plaque and mount it on the wall next to my antler mounts....cause it would be a trophy to be proud of!

I think I've read of military tests where they put something like 20,000 rounds through their chrome lined 7.62x51 nato M14 rifles during testing to see how long the barrels would last.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts