Rookie

timmymic

Just getting into sheep hunting, looks like an amazing challenge. Of the big 4, are their suggestions on which to go after first? Which is the best chance of getting a tag and where?

Thanks guys!

Well I'll tag in on this. I figure sheep hunting is out of my means except aoudad unless I get really lucky in the state draws but hey I'm always dreaming

Just getting into sheep hunting, looks like an amazing challenge. Of the big 4, are their suggestions on which to go after first? Which is the best chance of getting a tag and where?

Thanks guys!
Move to Idaho and put in on the central Idaho Rocky Mountain Bighorn units. Some have better than 1 out of 10 draw odds for residents. Outside of that, start applying in every possible state and be ready for a looooooooong wait. Or open up the check book and book a guided stone or Dall hunt in Canada or Alaska. Good luck!!

My .02 would be to go after Dall first while applying for/building points in states that offer bighorn tags. Stone and Desert are mucho expensive. Not to say Dall's are cheap, but it's fairly easy to book a hunt when you have the coin.

I would do the Dall or the Stone first, then start saving money for the Desert in Mexico. Hope that you are young now and don't run out of time to be drawn for Rocky Mountain Big Horn. Canada is your best friend for three of the species but still have to have $$$$$.

I'm a half slammer...if I were to offer a piece of advice would be get into a service--like TAGS, Hunting fool, Epic Outdoors, one of them...and apply in every state you can for RM bighorn and Desert Bighorn. Bite off a Dall--if you hang around to last min--you can get a deal or two. I had the option this year to do a Dall hunt for 13.5K--while not chump change---very doable. Then just save, save, save...I have about $18K saved for my stone--and if I have the option for $25K for a fannin or stone--I'm going...then just need my RM bighorn. I drew my Desert so it can be done--you just have to be persistent and lucky....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.