Rl33?

fastfire57

What are the differences of RL33 compared to H1000?
I don't se RL33 in the burn rate charts.
I'm using a Savage 110 338 Lapua.

What are the differences of RL33 compared to H1000?
I don't se RL33 in the burn rate charts.
I'm using a Savage 110 338 Lapua.

I have not seen a powder burn rate comparison chart on RE 33 ether but it works very well in the big 338s. It appears a little slower than H 1000 But don't quote me on that.

It was designed for the 338 Lapua and I have tried it in my new 338 Texan and while fire forming
and breaking in the barrel my rifle grouped .176 @ 100 yards.
I Have not done a ladder on it yet but the fire forming loads were well over 100 grains. (The case
will hold up to 119 grains).

Vihtavuori N 570 is the recommended powder for this case size, but I will compare it to the Re 33
when I get a chance.

J E CUSTOM

My experiences with RL-33: it is slower than Retumbo. It tends to work best with the heaviest for caliber bullets. Beginning loads are middle to upper Retumbo load data.

Worked great with:

6mm-284 with 105 Berger hybrid
257 Weatherby with 110 accubond
7mm/375 Ruger with 180 hybrid
300 RUM with 230 gr hybrid

It was designed for the 338's. It has a more progressive burn where it doesn't build pressure like the other powders. In my 338 Imp. it got me over a hundred feet per sond more over Retumbo and H1000. I also got better accuracy and lower pressure. It did seem to want the 300 Berger Elite into the rifling a wee bit. Matt

All said is correct about the progressive burn. RL33 is a bit slower burning than H1000 or even Retumbo and N570. It would fall in around H870 on the burn rate chart.

The 338 Edge shooters over on Longrangeonly.com seem to be topping out about 102 gr of Rel 33 with the 300 Berger; getting 3k fps from a 30" barrel. I topped out at 101.5 and 2989 when seated .015" off the lands. I also read that Rel 33 does not like much of anything seated more than .020" off the lands. My tested, so far has proved it. Tried both CCI 250 and WLRM and when I went out to .045 and .085" off accuracy was worse.

Alan

I have my 6mm-284 with 105 bergers way off the lands to fit a Wyatt's mag box.
The 257 weatherby with its freebore is also quite a ways off the lands.
300 RUM isn't near the lands. Load is 100 gr of RL-33 24" barrel 2975 fps.
The 7mm/375 is just off the lands.
All shoot well. I would have to go to my notes to get the actual jump for these rifles.

Kirby Allen was talking about getting lower ES by putting the bullet into the lands. Doesn't mean the loads won't shoot. All the above chamberings shoot quite well out to 500M the furthest I have tested them.

In our testing with R33 in an Edge and a 338 Lapua Imp. The groups shrank considerably at 1000 yards when the bullets got to a touch or 10 in. This was shot off concrete benches at Williamsport and these guns are built like out match guns. Yhe Edge has a 30 inch barrel with a brake in a Palma contour and weighs 17 pounds. My lapua IMP. is in an aluminum stock with a 36 inch barrel 1.450 Inch glued in a barrel block and weighs 45 pounds. In with both guns it was way better. The vertical went away. Matt

Can't argue with 1000 yd bench rest shooters. If anyone can prove a loading procedure it is you guys. Good to know.

I am a hunter and have been successful with my loads. Will admit I don't shoot at animals past 600 yds very often. As I have said to my friends , it is a good thing our big game animals are not tiny.

So, I'm guessing that I'll get better results than H1000 in my 338 Lapua?
What about temperature differences, this is not an extreme powder.
I just recently snagged a 8lb jug of RL33 but haven't got to play with it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.