RL-33 Load Data

I really appreciate you paving the way with this new powder. Just finished sizing new 6.5 Lapua brass to 6 . What primers are you using ? I've been using CCI LR . Seating depth I'll start out with what I seat the Sierra 107s at. Do you neck turn your brass ?

Iron Worker,

I have been waiting for RL-33 for almost three years, couldn't wait to hear what others are doing with it. Glad to help.

I have a "no turn" reamer made by PTG. No turning. Use Fed 210 match.

Anyone have any Ultra mag results or weatherby results, especially, 300 RUM, 338 RUM ,30-378,338-378, 338 Lapua I think thats were it will really shine since that what it was developed for. I would really like to see what it will do with a 300 rum and 230 gr bergers.

300 RUM results? Wasn't going to do it this close to the hunting season but got restless.

Had a okay load with H1000 and Berger 230 gr target hybrid. Used 88.5 gr for vel of 2860 fps. Load is close to max.

The barrel was a 24" rem takeoff in 300 win mag. I machined it to fit a push feed model 70 and used a PTG reamer.

Used the same components with same seating depth just substituted RL-33. Started with 90 gr and worked up. Temperatures were 85-90 degrees. Here are the results so far:

90gr 2665
92gr 2745
94gr no reading cardboard shades moved had to wait for next ceasefire to adjust
96gr 2875
98 gr 2925
100gr 3001

No signs of pressure, no bolt lift issues, primers look good etc. Will start when range opens and temps are in the low 50s. Will chrono the 100 gr load again for comparison.

-------
I went out again today to continue the 300 RUM testing with RL-33 and the 230 Berger target hybrid:

Shot the 100 gr load this morning in 60-70 degree weather. The average velocity for four shots was 2975 fps. This compares pretty close to yesterday's two shots averaging 3001 at 85-90 degrees. Will need more rounds to conclude if the powder is temp sensitive as well as cooler mornings. Az just won't cooperate with cooler weather yet.

Continued with more powder:

101 grs 2983 fps This is the first increase that didn't show a 50-70 fps increase in velocity. It would appear that there is nothing more to gain by increasing charges

102 grs 3016 had a tiny amount of bolt lift resistance.
Didn't try any hotter loads.

For my rifle 100 gr is the max I'll shoot. It was the most accurate too.

-------------
Went to the Tucson Rifle Club this morning to test the calculated comeups for 2550 elev and 60 degrees for 300 M (328 yds) and 500 M (546 yds). We have a steel silhouette range there. It is great fun to drive to the steel and spray paint them then go back and make them talk. I was very impressed with the results. I twisted the turret for the 300 M javelina hit it once. Then twisted for the 500 M ram again with exact bullet placement for elevation and windage. It is ready to hunt.

With my 700bdl lh in 300 rum with the 225 hornady hpbt I ran 90, 93, and 95 grains of rl33. Unfortunately the wind was up and gusty I couldn't get the chrono up.

90 rl33 produced a 1.080" 100 yard group with mild pressure
93 rl33 produced a 1.035" 100 yard group with slightly warmer pressure
95 rl33 produced a 0.675" 100 yard group with about max pressure

It seems that there is some difference between how early the berger and hornady reach max pressure. I know my pipe was maxed out as it was starting to get back flow near the primer indent, which is about max for my j-key lefty rem.

I also used the lefty 7mmstw with the 171 barnes and it topped at the start load of 82 grains accuracy wise ( 1.040" at 100 yd). I believe 84 and 86 grains were rather warm for the combo as the groups were progressively worse and the primers were flattening pretty good by 86 grains. I also had a bit of headstamp scraping on one of the 86 grain rounds.

AZ shooter I just made a quick trip to desert to fire two of the 58gr loads. How far off the lands are your bullets seated ? My two brass cases I just fired have flattened primers and a slight ejector mark . But my bullet is just touching the lands( A loaded cartridge easily ejects but there are rifling marks on the bullet). I think I better seat them deeper .

Here are a few more:

Forster Blue Ribbon Powder Funnel Long Drop Tube

Universal Powder Funnel Set | Powder Accessories | Powder Handling | Reloading Equipment | Reloading | 10ring.com

Kept searching and found this idea:

You can also make your own using a regular funnel, copper tubung, a flaring tool and a hot glue gun.

select the right size tubing that fits the ID of your funnel, you can trim the funnel to enlarge the hole if desired. Cut the tubing to desired length. Use the flaring tool to flare one end of the tube. Insert the tube, with flare on top, through the funnel, in the direction of flow. Put a little hot glue under the flare to seal it to the bottom of the funnel, Then flare the other end for your case mouth.

--------
Also bumped into several threads were guys used the vibration of their tumbler to shake the case. One guy said he used an old elec razor.

-------------

I have put my finger over a case mouth and gently tapped it on a hard surface to settle powder a bit deeper.

AZ shooter I just made a quick trip to desert to fire two of the 58gr loads. How far off the lands are your bullets seated ? My two brass cases I just fired have flattened primers and a slight ejector mark . But my bullet is just touching the lands( A loaded cartridge easily ejects but there are rifling marks on the bullet). I think I better seat them deeper .
Well I've since seated them .025 deeper. Zero rifling marks on the bullet. Tomorrows load range will be from 59grs-63.5grs of Re#33 105 Hybrid.

Iron Worker,

I seated the 105 target hybrids to fit and feed from the wyatts mag box in a SA Rem 700. Jump is .065".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts