RL-33 Load Data

AZ, what's the longest OAL that Wyatt's mag box will allow in your SA Remmy?

My 6-284 is also on a SA 700 but it only has a 1-12tw so I can't shoot the heavies. My next barrel will be a 1-8tw and I'll likely put the extended mag box in it if it gains me enough extra length to make it worth while.

Well I'm back . Re#33 is awesome stuff. My 1`st loads thinking I was going to be able to shoot all the range of loads from 59grs to 63grs pushing the 105 hybrids . The directions for my chronograph says the spacing between screens is critical, if off as much as 1/16th it will mess up the readings. . My 1st shot the velocity was so high I thought there was a malfunction. So I fired a known velocity load 51grs of Re#22 produced 3340 FPS 107gr SMK . I was shocked hey there's nothing wrong with my chronograph ! Ok so 59grs of Re#33 1st shot out of 30" bbl was 3,550 ! Then 2nd shot was 3,517 Hmmm that's a wide extreme . I only loaded two rnds thinking they would be on the low side and didn't want to waste the bullets. Then I fired two more of 60grs and velocity was 3,558 and 3569 ,so now I'm really stoked ! No pressure signs what so ever and both shots were under a 1/2" at 100 yds. Then I fired 3 loads of 61grs 3,587..3589..and 3,599 BUT group opened up and very slight ejector mark . I should've stopped there.. Then I fired a 62gr load and instantly smoke started pouring out of my action I blew a primer and a huge shinny ejector mark on the case. Velocity was 3,674. So I'll be pulling a few loads. This goes to show no two chambers are alike.Tomorrow I'll start around 55grs.

Glad you are happy with the performance of RL-33. Obviously more testing to do.

Yes no two chambers are the same and your rifle's throat isn't as worn which also reduces pressure/velocity.

I am cleaning it again and always write down the round count. It is now 939. The borescope shows horrible cracking for over a foot up the barrel. Eventually it will be too worn to enjoy the cleaning or it will produce poor accuracy. I have a new 5R 1 in 8 twist Bartlein as its replacement.

Are you going to shoot any animals with the target hybrid?

I hope I get the chance to shoot some varmints/predators with this bullet. So is your new bbl going to be this caliber ? After this bbl burns up I'm going to hang this caliber up,maybe go to 6mmbr ...

That's a good question. I own a PTG and reamer plus a redding S bushing FL die and the comp seater. I know I'll at least have this chambering in a sporter. I am using rem 243 takeoffs and doing the machine work myself.

I may make the new 30 inch Bartlein another 6mm-284 or maybe sell it.

FYI no need to throw out the burned out barrel. Dan Pederson of Classic Barrel Works in Prescott Az can rebore/re-rifle it for $225. If your barrel is a custom with special features like fluting or extra length it is the best way to preserve some of your investment.

I had Dan rebore/re-rifle a 30" #7 Lilja from 7mm to 338. I also had him chamber it for a long throated 338 RCM. I cannot remember the total cost the additonal cost for chambering and new crown was very reasonable.

I have two #5 fluted SS lilja that will eventually get worked over. Now that I am doing my own machine work I'll do the chamber work. The cool part is that the barrel shank threads will be just fine and old chamber can be cleaned up by the new larger chamber reamers.

Soon you'll be vaporizing critters.

I was playing with the RL33 this last weekend in my edge. to make it short, I stopped at 102 grns at 2950 fps with no real pressure signs. 2860 is about max with 93 grains of H1000, anymore and I loose brass very fast. This new powder really has my attention. I am going to go higher this weekend and see where it will take me safely. Love this stuff

I was playing with the RL33 this last weekend in my edge. to make it short, I stopped at 102 grns at 2950 fps with no real pressure signs. 2860 is about max with 93 grains of H1000, anymore and I loose brass very fast. This new powder really has my attention. I am going to go higher this weekend and see where it will take me safely. Love this stuff

In my 6/284 cause its a relatively new bbl I found the AZ shooters loads were way to hot. I have no need for a drop tube. So be CAREFUL !

Iron Worker,

It is interesting how some rifles can digest different amounts of powder. At least you can say you got a performance boost with RL-33.

There are so many variables, but I think most handloaders know to work up carefully when they see someone's data posted.

Bassin93,

Nice to see that RL-33 works in the edge!

Has anyone tried rl33 in the 7mm rum? I have a custom 7mm rum with a 28" barrel. I have some rl33 coming. I am hoping it will do wonders in the rum with 160 accubonds

It probably will but I would suspect RL-33 (like other slow burning powders) to work better with the heavier bullets i.e. 168, 175 180 & eventually the 195. It's well worth the try as it has the potential to boost your perfomance somewhat.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.