Rings for 338 Edge

ATH

I recently completed my 338 Edge home build. It is on the light side for the chambering at 12.4lbs, with optics mounted (5-25 Burris XTR II). It wears a Heathen brake which makes the recoil quite pleasant, kind of a big push rather than a sharp kick.

I mounted it in Burris Signature rings, using the inserts to add MOA so I could reach 2000 yards with the turrets. Everything was great for ~40 rounds, the gun shot everything well. Then the last shot of the last group I shot one day was ~6 inches right at 300 yards for no reason.

Next day I took some loads out to confirm groups at 300 yards, and the first group hit the backer over the 8X11 target. The gun had been zeroed at 300. I took it back to 100 and the shot clipped the top edge of a 8X11.

Upon inspection the top half of the rear ring was visibly tilted and the insert appeared out of alignment with the ring. I re-mounted the scope, paying careful attention to ensure the rear insert was properly captured by the ring. Tightening it down, I did notice I have to be careful to switch between screws to keep the top ring half coming down straight and not canting (6-screw rings). Going over the screws multiple times with the torque wrench, the front ring screws stopped moving after about the 4th iteration at final torque setting. The rear one, where the problem occurred, took >10 times over the screws to stop moving when re-torqued.

I built this gun for a fall elk hunt. Part of me says run another couple hundred rounds through it over the summer and see what happens. Part of me now doubts the rings. But online anecdotes claim both that these rings can't hold up to a 338 and that they are the only solution when steel rings won't stop the scope slipping.

As this site is where I learned about the Edge I thought I'd seek input here.

Just shoot it and keep an eye on it.

I shoot a sporter weight 338 RUM under my Nightforce NXS that is held with regular Burris Signature Zee's.

If it moves again, move up to the Signature XTR's. More clamping force and still get the benefits of the inserts.

Just shoot it and keep an eye on it.

I shoot a sporter weight 338 RUM under my Nightforce NXS that is held with regular Burris Signature Zee's.

If it moves again, move up to the Signature XTR's. More clamping force and still get the benefits of the inserts.

Thanks; I guess I wasn't clear, these are the 6-screw XTRs.

Four more rounds downrange today, as before shots align perfectly with optical zero of the scope. Punched out the bullseye after dialing in the final correction to the fourth shot. I'll get a couple dozen more rounds through it then check the torque again.

My 338 Edge is heavier at 16.5lb but my brake is now where near as efficient as yours.

I recently put Burris Signature Zee rings on if with a Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50.

Front and rear inserts are maxed and it's on a 20MOA rail. ~60MOA for a 600 yard zero with the turrets bottomed out.

I worried about shifting so I put rosin, same as used to grip a barrel for removal, on both sides of the inserts. Degrease everything well before install.

Rock solid. I mark my rings with a little dab of white out so show if they move.

BTW: From zero to 2080 yards is 75 MOA with room to go before hold over.

Thanks; I guess I wasn't clear, these are the 6-screw XTRs.

Four more rounds downrange today, as before shots align perfectly with optical zero of the scope. Punched out the bullseye after dialing in the final correction to the fourth shot. I'll get a couple dozen more rounds through it then check the torque again.

Yep, I'd stick with them IIWY. They are built like a tank; I have them on my .30 Lara full custom and so far so good.

Cheers!

My 16 pound 338 edge imp wore the regular Burris signature zee rings for several years with no problems. When I originally tightened them I used red lock tite and they never came loose. Without the lock tite they would start to come loose in about 3 shots. I have since upgrade to NXS rings for the peace of mind and the orginal Burris zee rings are a little light for a 338 edge anyway, and I wasn't to happy about the cross bolts having to be torqued with a flat head screw driver. I'm sure the bigger 6 bolt zee rings would work well though, they weren't out when I first purchased my zee rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.