Motoman006

Guys going to be getting a 338 lapua before to long

Was wondering what would work for scopes and rings

Do I need something out of the norm for a 338 lapua

I have tps rings and vortex hst 6-24 on my 308 and they work great
Gun won't be used much but for when we shoot over 500 yards

Any opinions would be great!

Also prolly $1500 and under cost range

You will probably get advice that covers many different optics, rings and mounts. On my .338....which is based on a Remington action.....I have a one piece 20 moa NightForce base. My rings are Badger Max 50, six screw rings. For a scope...I went with a Premier Heritage 5-25X. Because of the significant recoil....I wanted the most robust set up possible.

If I were to do it all over again...this is probably the scope I would go for...simply because the savings for such a great scope would be hard to pass up:

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Rifle Scope EBR-3 MRAD RZR553 on sale

As for rings and bases....All the big names would have excellent rings and bases for your .338. I'm partial to NightForce, Badger, Farrell.

Wayne

I should also say Seekins / Vortex Precision also are extremely well made rings. For top tier optics....I try and stay with matched pair rings It seems the machining tolerances are tighter since the cap was machined with the lower portion....YMMV....as will others experiences.

Good luck.....it's always fun working through a new build....

Just my humble 2 cents worth....others here with much more experience can provide you with more valuable info./insight.

Wayne

IMG_1131_zps2y1hglij.jpg

61e20269-fca2-445d-9a3a-a636ca09b748_zpsl9mrrdqi.jpg

I shoot alot of big boomers. 338 lapua, 330 dakota( a really effective LR heavy hitter you can build on a standard long action) 338 RUM etc. I pay alot of attention to eye relief. Especially on a rifle that's built to LR hunt and not over 12-13 lbs. Almost all of the good scopes like Nightforce, Kahles, Schmidt, US Optics, Newer Vortex and others will have no problem with the recoil forces. All of the above will serve you well and have very accurate turret tracking for LR work. Stay away from the cheap stuff these rifles will tear most of the inferior stuff apart right when you need it most.gun)

Forgot about the mounts and rings. For moderately LR to 1500 either a 20 or 30 MOA tapered base. I've been using American Rifle Company Rings lately and am sold on them. Super strong and the easiest to true up your scope mount rotation when mounting.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.