Rings/Bases for Fierce Edge

Interesting comments on Talley. I have them on 6.5 Edge, 300wsm Rem and 338WM Win (with a brake)...never had one slip or come loose. No special attention paid to torque spec. These have been on for between 4 and 12 years. Appreciate others experience and maybe next time will try something new as recommended just to have something different.
PS: hope you like the Edge.

Just installed new ARC rings on a recently purchased preowned Fierce Fury 7 MM Rem Mag. When I attempted to remove the bolt, discovered the back end screws were too long and bolt would get held up on the extractor. This was the Talley RL700S 20 MOA rail that came with gun. Half a turn would allow bolt to come on out, so am looking for some shorter 8-40 screws today.

I know that you don't want a one piece rail but, if you don't want any alignment failure, you should reconsider. It's virtually impossible to get a true alignment using two piece rails and one piece aren't 100% true but, if milled correctly are as close as they can be. I converted every one of my rifles over to one piece (if available) after experiencing a rear ring failure on a shot of a lifetime 7x7 elk in the close to 400 B&C mark. I still see that bull in my dreams 11 years later.

Another voice against Talleys. My brother in law and I have the same Fierce 300 WM in the Edge CT. He got his before mine and installed the Talleys and installed them with the normal Torque specs. The first day out, his scope was moving. After what we both went Murphy titanium rails and NIghtforce Ultralight rings and haven't had an issue since then.

So were the bases or the rings or both rings & bases the problem source?

So were the bases or the rings or both rings & bases the problem source?
Same here
I caught it right before I was going on a fly in mountain goat, moose, caribou hunt
Rifle wouldnt hold zero for more than 2 shots
Had to take the back up which I had a reduced maximum comfortable shooting distance and it cost me a big billy
Still need a mountain goat and the prices arent getting any cheaper

I know that you don't want a one piece rail but, if you don't want any alignment failure, you should reconsider. It's virtually impossible to get a true alignment using two piece rails and one piece aren't 100% true but, if milled correctly are as close as they can be. I converted every one of my rifles over to one piece (if available) after experiencing a rear ring failure on a shot of a lifetime 7x7 elk in the close to 400 B&C mark. I still see that bull in my dreams 11 years later.
Noted, when I contacted Murphy Precision they did recommend the one piece over the two piece for the same potential issues you spoke of. I was trying to save a little weight beings I was going with a little heavier NXS scope. Those couple ounces may not matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I appreciate your opinion.

Noted, when I contacted Murphy Precision they did recommend the one piece over the two piece for the same potential issues you spoke of. I was trying to save a little weight beings I was going with a little heavier NXS scope. Those couple ounces may not matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I appreciate your opinion.
I use NXS and ATACR on my best builds and one piece rails. For another ounce or two I will sacrifice a minimal amount of additional weight for guarantee against failure. I, in particular, prefer a lighter rifle to carry in the field but, sometimes it doesn't make sense to me to sacrifice a little more weight to avoid a problem of such importance. Just carrying a rifle in a scabbard on an outfitter's horse caused my problem with using split bases. Good luck with your choice!

I have tried cutting ounces and still pay attention to weight but some things can not be compromised or at least have a limit. like Marky Mark said it cost him a billy. That is something you can't get back. Everything has a compromise. Durability and reliability can not be compromised for me.

I just received some Hawkins rings. I have to say they are my favorite yet.😉

Last edited:
Another voice against Talleys. My brother in law and I have the same Fierce 300 WM in the Edge CT. He got his before mine and installed the Talleys and installed them with the normal Torque specs. The first day out, his scope was moving. After what we both went Murphy titanium rails and NIghtforce Ultralight rings and haven't had an issue since then.
not trying to "highjack" OP post. Any thoughts on Warne rings & bases.....?

I have a Fierce Edge in 6.5 PRC on the way. I'm also looking at ordering a NF NXS 3-15x50 and the NF Ultra Light rings for it. The question I have is with the bases. I'm not really wanting the single picatinny base but rather a 2 piece. Are there any 2 piece base options out there that would fit on the Fierce with NF rings? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
Check out Near mounts and bases, there are none better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.