right choke for duck hunting

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by jammer300, Dec 4, 2014.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jammer300

jammer300 Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 870 express super magnum 12 gauge 3 1/2" that has a modified choke and im not sure if that is a good choke to use for duck hunting. Most of my hunting consists of big game and varmints so I don't have a lot of experience with waterfowl. I will mainly use this gun for ducks and will be shooting Winchester xpert hi velocity steel shot #2. Thanks for the help

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I typically use IC when I hunt wood ducks, but the shooting is close and fast. The choke you choose really depends on your shooting situations. If you expect to have 40 plus yard shots I would stick with what you have. In closer I would open that pattern up with IC or even Skeet.

birddog93 likes this.
  3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I used full and modified when we shot led shot and switched to Modified and Improved Cylinder(Over and under) when we went to steel shot.

Our shots are 40+yards (Mostly pass shooting) normally and the steel shot needs less choke for the same pattern.

Depending on your set, ether choke will work.

J E CUSTOM

4. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

IMO, rule No. 1 in selecting a choke is to understand how they work. Tighter the choke, tighter the pattern over distance. A tight choke pattern means (if your lead is correct) hitting ducks at longer distances. But all too often a duck shot at long distance gets lost in the tullies so what's the use of shooting ducks you can't find? A tight choke also means that ducks close at hand end up so badly damaged that you couldn't use the meat.
    So, in selecting a choke, decide what pattern you might need at the distance you expect to be shooting. Remember it's about the hunt, not the kill. :)

Addictedtoquack and geo4061 like this.
  5. kc0pph

kc0pph Well-Known Member

My group uses all mod or ic but I use full and go for the ones out far. If I go by myself I use a modified. In my experiences a modified is the perfect choke for al around shooting. Btw I use 3" #2 for ducks but once goose season opens up I only use 3.5 bb as it works good on ducks and geese.

6. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Jammer, perhaps a PatternMaster Long Range model would give your 870 a boost for duck. They produce good patterns for my Benelli and are ported. They are $5 off at Cabelas now. Good luck

7. MOA Chaser

MOA Chaser Well-Known Member

I use a light modified for almost everything. It is between IC and M. Always take the time to pattern your gun/choke/shell combo. I have had M chokes that shoot IC and IC that shoot Full.

8. Jerry M

Jerry M Well-Known Member

Modified choke is great for steel. Shoot quality steel shot shells and you will do fine, the cheap stuff is junk.

9. jammer300

jammer300 Well-Known Member

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. im going to go out this weekend and I will give it a try with the choke I have and see how that works for me.

10. BeaverScout

BeaverScout Member

Yes, IMO..Modified choke will be fine over decoys.

11. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I agree that not all chokes with the same designation are created equal. The specific load should be tested to be sure of the best pattern for a given range. Too tight a choke can blow a steel shot pattern. I have had best results with more open chokes.

12. clark270

clark270 Well-Known Member

Make sure the choke tubes don't say lead only! I use a modified with #2's and if the birds are real close aim for the beak and swing and follow through your shot. 2's work fine for geese when close enough.

13. DXHI

DXHI Well-Known Member

I like modified for general purpose waterfowl hunting. It's a little tight for timber, but I don't change my set up (mule headed)...my point of impact stays same as long as I'm on part with my lead.

Swapped to a wad wizard choke and like it very much...no matter which choke, my gun patterns best with 3 and 4 shot. .

Ammo makes all the difference don't buy the winchester fast steel crap..you'll be kicking yourself I promise

14. StrutNut

StrutNut Well-Known Member

Well,

I have found that the modified choke will be fine for either steel shot or the heavier lead substitutes for hunting waterfowl. It seems like you are just getting into this so stick to what you have. If you start to enjoy waterfowling and want to do it more there are a couple of things to consider. First off most of my peers shoot either Improved Modified or Modified with steel shot for ducks and geese. Steel holds a tighter pattern than lead or some of the lead substitutes and a tighter choke can actually slow the shot down which can give you a negative affect. Most chokes are constrictive chokes that tend to string out your pattern to give you tighter groups. Pattern Master and Wad Wizzards work differently as their technology not only tightens groups but also shortens shot string. For geese, this is the best way to go. In my rig I mostly use IM for everything but geese. I really like the Wad Wizzard Supreme for geese.