right choke for duck hunting

jammer300

I have a Remington 870 express super magnum 12 gauge 3 1/2" that has a modified choke and im not sure if that is a good choke to use for duck hunting. Most of my hunting consists of big game and varmints so I don't have a lot of experience with waterfowl. I will mainly use this gun for ducks and will be shooting Winchester xpert hi velocity steel shot #2. Thanks for the help

I used full and modified when we shot led shot and switched to Modified and Improved Cylinder(Over and under) when we went to steel shot.

Our shots are 40+yards (Mostly pass shooting) normally and the steel shot needs less choke for the same pattern.

Depending on your set, ether choke will work.

J E CUSTOM

IMO, rule No. 1 in selecting a choke is to understand how they work. Tighter the choke, tighter the pattern over distance. A tight choke pattern means (if your lead is correct) hitting ducks at longer distances. But all too often a duck shot at long distance gets lost in the tullies so what's the use of shooting ducks you can't find? A tight choke also means that ducks close at hand end up so badly damaged that you couldn't use the meat.
So, in selecting a choke, decide what pattern you might need at the distance you expect to be shooting. Remember it's about the hunt, not the kill. :)

My group uses all mod or ic but I use full and go for the ones out far. If I go by myself I use a modified. In my experiences a modified is the perfect choke for al around shooting. Btw I use 3" #2 for ducks but once goose season opens up I only use 3.5 bb as it works good on ducks and geese.

Jammer, perhaps a PatternMaster Long Range model would give your 870 a boost for duck. They produce good patterns for my Benelli and are ported. They are $5 off at Cabelas now. Good luck

I use a light modified for almost everything. It is between IC and M. Always take the time to pattern your gun/choke/shell combo. I have had M chokes that shoot IC and IC that shoot Full.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. im going to go out this weekend and I will give it a try with the choke I have and see how that works for me.

I have a Remington 870 express super magnum 12 gauge 3 1/2" that has a modified choke and im not sure if that is a good choke to use for duck hunting. Most of my hunting consists of big game and varmints so I don't have a lot of experience with waterfowl. I will mainly use this gun for ducks and will be shooting Winchester xpert hi velocity steel shot #2. Thanks for the help

Yes, IMO..Modified choke will be fine over decoys.

I agree that not all chokes with the same designation are created equal. The specific load should be tested to be sure of the best pattern for a given range. Too tight a choke can blow a steel shot pattern. I have had best results with more open chokes.

Make sure the choke tubes don't say lead only! I use a modified with #2's and if the birds are real close aim for the beak and swing and follow through your shot. 2's work fine for geese when close enough.

I like modified for general purpose waterfowl hunting. It's a little tight for timber, but I don't change my set up (mule headed)...my point of impact stays same as long as I'm on part with my lead.

Swapped to a wad wizard choke and like it very much...no matter which choke, my gun patterns best with 3 and 4 shot. .

Ammo makes all the difference don't buy the winchester fast steel crap..you'll be kicking yourself I promise

Well,

I have found that the modified choke will be fine for either steel shot or the heavier lead substitutes for hunting waterfowl. It seems like you are just getting into this so stick to what you have. If you start to enjoy waterfowling and want to do it more there are a couple of things to consider. First off most of my peers shoot either Improved Modified or Modified with steel shot for ducks and geese. Steel holds a tighter pattern than lead or some of the lead substitutes and a tighter choke can actually slow the shot down which can give you a negative affect. Most chokes are constrictive chokes that tend to string out your pattern to give you tighter groups. Pattern Master and Wad Wizzards work differently as their technology not only tightens groups but also shortens shot string. For geese, this is the best way to go. In my rig I mostly use IM for everything but geese. I really like the Wad Wizzard Supreme for geese.