rifle weight to dampen 338 mag recoil

Dr. John

I am contemplating at 338 mag in the near future. 338lapua AR30, 338-378 Accumark, or 338 ultra Sendero. the sendero does not have a break. if I get this one I would likely change the stock to a Choate Ultimate varmint or Ultimate sniper. Or a McMillan Prone or Tooley. I would not be carrying this rifle long distances so would make it heavy for comfortable shooting. how much should this gun weigh in order to really dampen the recoil? I am not looking to make it feel like a 243 win but acceptable to shoot off the bench for lets say 20-40 shots at one sitting. I was just trying to avoid adding a break.

If you're planning on being in a spot with it you can stop to put hearing protection on, get a brake.
wink.gif
You'll like it a lot better, then it "will" be like a 243. Weight just don't do that much, it just don't.

I've got a .338 RUM, which has almost identical recoil as the .300 RUM. My recoils is exactly that of my 7 mag according to the calculations. 8.5 lb rifle & scope. To get the recoil down to the 7 mag without a brake, you have to double the weight of the rifle to 17 lbs. To get it down to your .243, you'd probably have to get it up to a 25 or 30 lb rifle. Brakes are easier to install, and MUCH easier to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.