Rifle for Older Guy with a Bad Neck....

.308 Winchester, .260 Remington, or 7mm-08. All should do the trick nicely.

.25-06 AI is also a nice option. Non-standard, but if he reloads or is familiar with wildcatting/fire-forming brass, then it would be a great option for 500 yards and in. Nearly a laser-beam.

my daughter has that same unbearable, shooting pain in her head and neck from nerve damage, caused by her idiot school making her lug around a 45lb bookbag for years. What works best is a nerve blocker to deaden the pain a bit. Then see what kind of shooting he can tolerate.

Yuppers, lots of good option as posted above...

Tapping it kool is one of our options,,, I'm doing the same thing but more so related to my shoulder... I'm building a old school 6.5 so I can shoot the 140gr class booltiz,,, medium hot load for shooting range time,,, and soup them up during hunting season,,, kinda like a win win...

Its all about loooooong booltiz fir me since they shoot nice,,, and I can stretch them out in my long action close to the lands,,, I won't be shooting any booltiz heavier then 140 ish grain'ers,,, so I might as well lesson the diameter to gain in length...

My plan was to jump into the 7mm category,,, but I won't be shooting the 150/ 175's,,, so why allow for that option,,, as I scale back my next booltiz will be the 120 ish grain'ers,,, then the 90/ 100's as time passes by,,, hopefully when I'm 106 years young I'll be hunting with the 55 gr booltiz... LOL

Lots of options fore sure...

Good luck finding what works,,, that's the fun stuff in the firearms world.

Cheers from the North

My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---. Not unusual for a 69 year old guy. His pain at the moment would certainly prevent him from shooting heavy kick rifles. They're going the steroid shot route for now as they try to figure out a long term solution. As of right now the shooting pains from the nerves, etc. hit frequent enough that shooting wouldn't be much fun. So being that we are inherently stubborn creatures and don't want to miss a hunting season or practice we need to figure out what he'll shoot so long as he gets the ok from the Dr.

So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

He currently has the following options:
1) LMT .308 ar10 with suppressor - really heavy gun to tote around
2) 300 blackout ar with suppressor - lacks range for most blinds but is the perfect rifle for kick/weight
3) A Bolt 7WSM - could add a break to calm it down in consideration of the neck...it's not a bad kick now
4) Use his CZ 308 with reduced recoil loads
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.

My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---. Not unusual for a 69 year old guy. His pain at the moment would certainly prevent him from shooting heavy kick rifles. They're going the steroid shot route for now as they try to figure out a long term solution. As of right now the shooting pains from the nerves, etc. hit frequent enough that shooting wouldn't be much fun. So being that we are inherently stubborn creatures and don't want to miss a hunting season or practice we need to figure out what he'll shoot so long as he gets the ok from the Dr.

So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

2) 300 blackout ar with suppressor - lacks range for most blinds but is the perfect rifle for kick/weight
3) A Bolt 7WSM - could add a break to calm it down in consideration of the neck...it's not a bad kick now
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.
I am 68 and I can not take the recoil of the heavy guns anymore. A friend of mine put me on the daddy of all the 6.5s. I got a 6.5x55 Swede and it is now my go to rifle. I can use it to hunt anything on the North American continent with the right bullet. The recoil is so light your mother could shoot it. It is easy to reload for. I use 140 grain bullets and have never lost an animal yet, knock on wood. You don't need a brake to handle recoil. The 6.5 bullet is inherently accurate also. But, each to his own. The Swede has been used in Europe for over 100 years for moose. I for one love my Swede.

Fire away.
I am an Orthopedic surgeon and avid hunter. I have a 7 mm WSM and love it but too much gun for your dad. 7-08 is perfect. More than enough gun for 300 yards and so mild to shoot. A 308 is also fine but do him a favor and stay away from the mag. I got a Browning Abolt micro medallion for my dad when he was in the same situation and he loved it. Upon his passing I have used it for years.

I went through this years ago. Extensive extensive research & testing at the range.

#1) Gave my .30-06 to my son.
#2) 7mm-08 Browning BAR, semi auto takes away so much recoil. Kills Elk dead, dead.. dead..dead. 140 grain partition.
#3) .243 Browning BAR for white tail. 80 grain or 100 grain. Deer just fall over. Hogs don't fall over as fast, but they die eventually.

I tried the low recoil rounds, they suck. I use full factory loads.
If you want to do the next step, have a brake installed, but I don't need it. I'd rather save my hearing.

No one makes a 6.5 CM in semi. At least not a hunting rifle. I asked Browning too, but they haven't done so yet.

And remember, no more long tracks !!! short tracks kill Bear, Elk, anything I want hanging on my wall.

Big fan of .243 myself, a great round. I would just go with a brake though.
Got into this late here is my 2 cents. Either go with the 308 Win as I would think its should be mild enough with a suppressor or put a high efficiency brake on it. This is first option. Or go to truesportingarmsllc.com and get a 22" light profile polygonal Black Hole Weaponry barrel 1-8 260 Remington barrel. $147.00 , put a decent brake on it and you are good to go. 260 Remington is a great round that like many others Remington never marketed right. If you have a straight but stock get either a Luthar AR or Magpul PRS stock on it so you can get the LOP and Comb set just right where he can rest on it. With a 260 Rem, Brake and a Precision Stock you should be about as comfortable as you cna be.

If you do go with an adjustable gas block I can't say enough good about the Superlative Arms product. Have one on a .308 and dialing it in was simple and easy. Not the lowest cost option, but I rate it the best option.

FWIW I've been slowly removing all of my brakes. Too bloody loud. A shooting friend calls them "Loudenators".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.