Rifle for Older Guy with a Bad Neck....

I see from the link you sent that the 6.5 Creedmoor was a barrel option. That could be perfect, too. Accurate ammo available over the counter. Light'ish recoil. Plenty of range and knock down power for a whitetail. And he could get a 20" or 24" barrel. The longer one would add some weight (less recoil) and give him a bit more velocity/power.

I still like the .243 Win, but I'm just fighting against the tide, I know. Creedmoor is "the thing" to have now. It is a very good round. Can't go wrong either way. Options are good to have.

tmwtrfwler

There can be two other view points also:

Most if not all commercially manufactured stocks are made so generically that they do not fit most individuals at all. We force ourselves to fit the rifle. But because anything else is vastly more expensive like a custom stock or hardware to make an adjustable stock, we often let the lack of good fit fall by the wayside. This lack of proper fit can often be a contributing factor for pain for a shooter, especially folks like your father with neck problems. Fit the stock to the shooter.

Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

I'm with the poster above since he can crawl up into the blind and one of you hand him the 'heavy rifle'. A heavy rifle will help defeat recoil. A semi-automatic rifle will help defeat recoil. A heavy, semi-automatic rifle with a suppressor scores points on all three levels with regard to recoil. I see no reason except desire, to buy another for this stated purpose. He has the solution just make sure the rifle fits him and he is comfortable with his position in the blind.

tmwtrfwler

There can be two other view points also:

Most if not all commercially manufactured stocks are made so generically that they do not fit most individuals at all. We force ourselves to fit the rifle. But because anything else is vastly more expensive like a custom stock or hardware to make an adjustable stock, we often let the lack of good fit fall by the wayside. This lack of proper fit can often be a contributing factor for pain for a shooter, especially folks like your father with neck problems. Fit the stock to the shooter.

I'm with the poster above since he can crawl up into the blind and one of you hand him the 'heavy rifle'. A heavy rifle will help defeat recoil. A semi-automatic rifle will help defeat recoil. A heavy, semi-automatic rifle with a suppressor scores points on all three levels with regard to recoil. I see no reason except desire, to buy another for this stated purpose. He has the solution just make sure the rifle fits him and he is comfortable with his position in the blind.

Just spoke with him about this option. He's going to discuss with his dr some things ie weight limit for carrying (anything not just a gun), c3 vertebrae vulnerability in general as there's some rubbing on the spinal cord, etc. and if he's cleared to shoot he's going to go the 6.5 route suppressed only bc the .243's are sold out and Lmt has no plans to run more.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

7mm-08 with a break, 139gr bullets. would make the rifle around 10-11lbs. that would be more than enough for any whitetail out to that range. heck the .308 should be more than enough with 155's and the right twist for them.....7mm-06 should give you a lil more pop if you would like to build one, you can always down load that to 7-08 speeds (or close to it anyway). he would be able to take larger game if ever wishes to with those rifles as well...... 139gr at 27-2800 is more than enough for deer out to 300yards.

I would go with the 7mm-08 with a break on it like bpcrshooter said, if he wants a new gun and who doesn't Lol. With 120 Nosler BT for lower recoil also, if not a 140 BT or BST or a 139gr SST.

Or just put a brake on his 308 and done

I would go with the 7mm-08 with a break on it like bpcrshooter said, if he wants a new gun and who doesn't Lol. With 120 Nosler BT for lower recoil also, if not a 140 BT or BST or a 139gr SST. Or just put a brake on his 308 and done
You are certainly correct that a muzzle brake will reduce the recoil, but using one in/from a blind is devastatingly loud. He has a suppressor already, so really no need for a brake.

Looks like he's going 6.5 Creedmoor, suppressed, in a semi-auto, which is a very good choice, all things considered.

Glad we already have our suppressors, AR's, and other toys bc our wonderful black faced party animal Gov. held his anti-2nd post shooting press conference calling for red flag laws, suppressor bans, ar bans, etc. etc. you know.... all the common sense stuff.

This is just an aside....not to derail the post.

I'd recommend a 6 Dasher. With a 24" barrel it should drive a 105 gr close to 3000 fps. All that with only a bit over 30 gr of powder. Should be good for deer out to at least 500 yds.

Also he could put a mercury recoil suppressor and or a muzzle break and most smaller Caliber rifles and tone them down to make it comfortable for him

My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---. Not unusual for a 69 year old guy. His pain at the moment would certainly prevent him from shooting heavy kick rifles. They're going the steroid shot route for now as they try to figure out a long term solution. As of right now the shooting pains from the nerves, etc. hit frequent enough that shooting wouldn't be much fun. So being that we are inherently stubborn creatures and don't want to miss a hunting season or practice we need to figure out what he'll shoot so long as he gets the ok from the Dr.

So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia

He currently has the following options:
1) LMT .308 ar10 with suppressor - really heavy gun to tote around
2) 300 blackout ar with suppressor - lacks range for most blinds but is the perfect rifle for kick/weight
3) A Bolt 7WSM - could add a break to calm it down in consideration of the neck...it's not a bad kick now
4) Use his CZ 308 with reduced recoil loads
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.

What are you hunting, I'm suspecting whitetails or something in that category? I had a Browning, Micro Medallion with a brake on it, it was extremely light, would really reach out there and very mild on recoil. Just didn't want to be standing there to the right or left of the rifle when it went off!

Last edited:
What are you hunting, I'm suspecting whitetails or something in that category? I had a Browning, Micro Medallion with a brake on it, it was extremely light, would really reach out there and very mild on recoil.

"So, the question to the group is what would you choose in his situation to shoot for whitetail hunting this season. Elevated box blinds, 300 yards max distance in Virginia"

Thus a 6.5 creedmoor, 6 mm remington, .243 or the 6mm dasher would all work well.

I have a F/U MRI next week on my neck for a disc that "resolved" itself about 10 years ago but has now decided to let me know it is still around. I am thinking about recoil but not just yet to make any decision on changing favorite rifles out for something lighter. Elk hunting this fall so next week MRI may become a gamechanger for me as well.

I guess if you go with the 6.5CM we all know all you have to do is just bring it into the blind, it does all the killing by itself so recoil shouldn't be any problem at all. I have a nice older 700 VLS .243 so any deer hunting is easily done with that. Or just bow or xbow.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.