Rifle Basix Trigger Question

ricknolan

I have installed a Rifle Basix trigger in my Model 70.

When I cock the gun and put "on" the safety all is cool. If, however I pull the trigger while the safety is "on" and then move the safety to the "fire" position the rifle "fires" as soon as the safety is placed "off".

It would appear that the shear will need to be polished in such a manner that the trigger does not allow the "hammer" to fall when placing the gun back in the fire position. Hope this makes sense.

If I am correct, is that something a Smith should do or should I attempt it myself?

If I am not correct in my assumption, please enlighten me.

Thanks
Rick

your trigger is just out of adjustment , this is a common problem found when guy try to get all the creep out of the trigger. You need to adjust the trigger over travel screw back some.
Try this
check make sure the gun is unloaded , cock it and adjust the trigger take screw (front of trigger) untill the sear trips then back that screw up one half revolution and recock it. pull the trigger with the safety ON , then turn it off ,the gun should not fire , if it does turn the take up screw back another 90 deg or 1/4 turn and repeat. If the gun continues to fire then their is a problem with the triger geometery and it needs to be either stoned to the correct angles or in your case replaced as its factroy defective , that trigger sould safely be adjustable to at least a pound or a little less.

Thanks Mr Jones but even if I remove the front screw it still fires. The trigger is just not catching the shear once the trigger is pulled with the safety on.

The gun did fine with the factory trigger. Is it the trigger that is defective? Should I send it back to Rifle Basix and get a new one?

without having it here to look its hard to say , does the sear and trigger move freely , , no sticky spots?

A) that the angle of the contact points are differant , look at the factory trigger and compair what the angle looks like where the sear mates to the trigger to the new one

B) the trigger pull weight spring is set to light and not holding the trigger un against the sear with enough force to keept the sear from falling , this can be caused from a weak set?adjusted spring or again poor geometery between the trigger and sear , when the angles are correct and the contact points are perfect you shoulden't need any spring pressure to hold the trigger to the sear but thats rarely found without alot of fine tuning with stones

So try tightening the trigger spring a bit and see if that helps , start with the spring pretty tight and the trigger cake up screw backed out a good bit then adjust from their , first adjusting the sear trigger engagment so that their is little creep ,them lightening the trigger spring.

Remember that a good crisp trigger thats surfaces mate well with very little creep and over travel feels ALOT lighter then one with alot of creep , if that doesn't work I'd call riflebasix and talk to them about it , I've called them a couple time and they were a pleasure to work with.

I tried a number of combinations last night with no success. I did call Riflebasix last night and talked to a friendly enough fellow. I sent him some pics. Looks like it may require a new trigger.

Thanks for you input I will keep you posted on what the outcome is.

I was looking for some other advice on a Rifle Basix trigger and noticed your old post. You probably solved the problem long ago, but if not I think I know the answer. I had the same problem with a couple Rifle Basix triggers on a Montana 99 action - same geometry as Win 70. The problem was that the Rifle Basix pivot collar at the top of the trigger is a mite too thick and it binds on the bottom of the action - take some of that material off the top 1/2 of the collar with a Dremel....enough so that the trigger swings freely back and forth with the pivot pin in place. From there, you can go ahead with the normal adjustments.

I just installed a couple of the newer black Rifle Basix triggers and they didn't bindy must've used a different mold for those.

Cheers,

I also had problems with a Riflebasix trigger. I couldn't close the bolt quickly without the rifle going off, even with maximum shear. I couldn't get the creep out of it either. The whole thing was just horrible and worse than any other trigger I've had my finger on so I changed back to the factory one.

Last edited:
I have one on my .17HMR and I love it for accuracy, but for out in the field, lets just say keep the barrel pointed at the ground when you close the bolt...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.