Retumbo vs Norma MRP w/Berger 210 VLD in 300 Win Mag

SofaKing

I got a good deal on 200 ct of Berger 210. But not been able to find H1000 that seems to be popular with 300 win mag. So my question is does anyone have experience with Retumbo or Norma MRP loading Berger 210 vlds? Those two Powders are available local. So any help would be great.

Yes, I load both the 210gn Berger and 208gn A-Max in my Savage 112 BVSS, .300WinMag with 81.0gns of Retumbo w/CCI250's. Velocity averages 3070fps, and accuracy averages .5" for both loads. The POI for both is so close it's inconsequential.
I have not taken any game with the Bergers, yet, but the whitetail I took with the 208gn A-Max was DRT. The range was only 151yds and was not a true test of the bullets LR potential, but still it performed flawlessly IMO.
I don't remember if I shot the 210gn Bergers past 700yds, but I do know they were sub MOA to that range. The 208gn Hornadys have been sub MOA (10") to 1500yds.
Currently out of both and planning on getting the A-Max's tomorrow, for sure, maybe both if the Bergers aren't so darn high. I know this originally was about different powders, but I just wanted you (SofaKing) to know that both bullets shoot well in my rifle with Retumbo.
This is a compressed load and max as listed by Hodgdon, so proceed with caution. Good shooting. JohnnyK.

I use Retumbo in my 300WM Rem 700 Milspec., 24" bbl. I tried it due to very high ES using 210 VLD's with H1000. I'm very pleased with the results. I can achieve the same .25 MOA accuracy with ES under 10 FPS. I use Norma brass, 215 Fed primers, and 79 grains of Retumbo. Velocitiy runs 75-100FPS higher with Retumbo as well at 2900FPS.

I got a good deal on 200 ct of Berger 210. But not been able to find H1000 that seems to be popular with 300 win mag. So my question is does anyone have experience with Retumbo or Norma MRP loading Berger 210 vlds? Those two Powders are available local. So any help would be great.

Others are reporting IMR7977 as close to H1000. Got a pound but have yet to try myself. I have tried Retumbo and H1000 but I was getting better group and velocity with H4831SC and IMR7828SSC on my initial out of my rifle. I also have a pound of Norma MRP to try later, perhaps after hunting season.

See attached file I got from the Berger Tech Support Team ...

Attachments

• 300 Winchester Magnum - 210 Grain.pdf
    691 KB · Views: 262
MRP is generally equivalent to RL22 on the burn charts and has been a go to powder for many 1k BR shooters in the win mag and WSM. So yes you can easily work up loads with MRP. It has a good reputation for temperature stability and higher MV.

I don't shoot a 300WM personally, but both of those powders should be good options for you to try. Our book show the MRP powder with a range from 67.5gr-71.0. Retumbo loads are 75.5gr-79.6gr.

One way to find out which ones shoots the best for you! :)

I shoot both h1000 and retumbo behind a 210 vld in my 300 win. Retumbo has a better group. Im running the burgers seated to the lands at 79.6 gr

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.