• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Retumbo 8# @ Sportsman’s!!!

That is not the new standard price if we stop paying crazy prices. I just bought an 8lb jug of H1000 at a local store that just received it and paid $285. Hodgdon is not charging wholesalers crazy prices it is just stores choosing to put profits over customers. Sportsman's Warehouse has always kept their prices inline with pre-shortage prices going back to the Obama years until about a month or so ago. Sad to see this change as weekly visits to Sportsman's on delivery days is responsible for my current inventory of primers and bullets throughout the years.
That's very true about sportsman's. The one here in Nampa Id had an 8lber of h4831sc about two months back so I grabbed it and didn't even pay attention to the price being I was at sportsman's. It rang up at $420! I still purchased it but was really surprised and disappointed.

That's very true about sportsman's. The one here in Nampa Id had an 8lber of h4831sc about two months back so I grabbed it and didn't even pay attention to the price being I was at sportsman's. It rang up at $420! I still purchased it but was really surprised and disappointed.
Wow that's wild. We've been able to get primers from ours in Helena (hit and miss) but at reasonable prices. I think $49 for 1,000 CCI

I haven't bought powder from them because they never have anything I need.

I saw one in the Yuma, Az location for the same price last Wednesday. I laughed at the guy and he said, "that price can't be right". He went and checked the price again and came back to tell me that $559 was the price and he apologized. He was basically embarrassed, I told the guy don't sweat it, not his fault, but to tell his manager they lost a good customer as I wouldn't be coming back. The clerk was shocked at the price himself. Anyways…. Pretty sad!

Made in Australia Retumbo is pretty close to $50 per pound powder, these days. The 8pounder usually drops the price to $40 per pound. Sportsman's price is $70 lb out there. If a guy was loading 100gr in a typical 300RUM, 70 rounds loaded, that first pound is used up. Factory loaded, Remington 300 Ultra Mags are $5.90 each at Midway, $117.99 for a box of 20rounds. If your Elk rifle likes Retumbo, that big jug is good for 560 rounds, a lifetime supply of hunting and practice rounds.

Why blame Sportsman?
Prices are going up on everything…. I don't blame Sportsman… their costs have risen also, and they still have to make a profit.

I'm in the auto parts distribution business and have seen our prices raised on many lines over 40 times last year… and now in 2022.
Oil, filters, rotors, and more.. lubricants over 7 times in 2022.

their costs on powder and other items today.. is NOT the same as 3 years ago
I'm sure you have seen it at the grocery store… as well

Problem I see is that the stores that rely on profits from powder, ammo, primers etc are having a hard time getting any--- so once they do hey some they jave to increase their profit margin to stay in business......

It's the old adage of "sell a lot for a little profit-- or sell a little for a lot of profit"

It's just too bad to see that dportsmans has finally fallen to these levels as they were one of the last few that had "lower- precovid prices"

Made in Australia Retumbo is pretty close to $50 per pound powder, these days. The 8pounder usually drops the price to $40 per pound. Sportsman's price is $70 lb out there. If a guy was loading 100gr in a typical 300RUM, 70 rounds loaded, that first pound is used up. Factory loaded, Remington 300 Ultra Mags are $5.90 each at Midway, $117.99 for a box of 20rounds. If your Elk rifle likes Retumbo, that big jug is good for 560 rounds, a lifetime supply of hunting and practice rounds.
I shoot more then that in a year normally

I shoot more then that in a year normally
Yep,didn't say otherwise. Good rifle, check the sight in from year before and get my elk, not going to use 14 rounds. Forty years at that rate be a lifetime of hunts, for my use, from an 8 pounder. That doesn't mean , be all the powder I'd use in a year, it's was just my way to justify the $560 cost. Think Sportsman's wants to keep the lights on, not let GB grabbers steal all the profits,who knows what's exactly right, long as it's available, it just works, Good Luck !

Someone will buy it and put it on GB. LMAO

Geez, I'm getting too old, for it doesn't seem that long ago when I walked away from 8# jugs of various powders @ $100. I still have a few varied 1# cans in the shop with $4.95, $6.99 and $7.00 stickers on them. Sad....

Last edited:

Uhhh...... not here.

Someone will buy it and put it on GB. LMAO

Geez, I'm getting too old, for it doesn't seem that long ago when I walked away from 8# jugs of various powders @ $100. I still have a few varied 1# cans in the shop with $4.95, $6.99 and $7.00 stickers on them. Sad....
Just think they are overpricing that hard to find stuff at Sportsman's to keep it in the store longer, it's working.I wouldn't buy that jug either at $560 but, if i did, all that would add to my yearly Elk hunting would be $14 bucks a year, if that was my powder. Been getting by with H-1000, anyways for quite awhile. It's not going down in price soon, only harder to find everyday now.

Last edited:

Recent Posts