Rest options for shooting off a bench?

For all my LR hunting, PRS rifles I use a front bipod, rear bag. I will always confirm POI in the prone position.
160366A5-95F6-4059-B81B-565017F0C0EF.jpeg573D1219-DA6E-4A58-B2BE-CEC12156606E.jpeg

Last edited:
The Caldwell Rock BR front rest is a good choice for a rest that is adjustable both vertically and horizontally. Particularly if you are shooting a target with multiple bullseyes. It is the least expensive of this type of rest. I compete in precision airgun benchrest and recently purchased a Sinclair varmint front rest. It has smoother adjustments both vertically and horizontally and is very well made, but four times the cost of the Rock BR. The official 25 meter airgun benchrest target has 25 bullseyes and is about 18" wide, so I do a lot of vertical travel to complete a target. I still use the Caldwell rest for working up loads and sighting in my hunting rifle. I use the Protektor rabbit ear bag, with the flat bottom, with both front rests.

The Caldwell Rock BR front rest is a good choice for a rest that is adjustable both vertically and horizontally. Particularly if you are shooting a target with multiple bullseyes. It is the least expensive of this type of rest. I compete in precision airgun benchrest and recently purchased a Sinclair varmint front rest. It has smoother adjustments both vertically and horizontally and is very well made, but four times the cost of the Rock BR. The official 25 meter airgun benchrest target has 25 bullseyes and is about 18" wide, so I do a lot of vertical travel to complete a target. I still use the Caldwell rest for working up loads and sighting in my hunting rifle. I use the Protektor rabbit ear bag, with the flat bottom, with both front rests.
This is my setup as well. Here is a link to the Caldwell Rock BR:

Amazon product ASIN B000S5W78A

I've been using a Hart pedestal rest for many years with a Protektor 1 1/2" wide leather bag . For a rear rest I use a Protektor leather bunny bag.
I've yet to outgrow this setup and I've used it several times a month for more than thirty years. With the bag in place, the Hart pedestal rest weighs just under twenty pounds and doesn't move around on the bench.

I generally avoid Midway-branded products like Caldwell, but the Caldwell rest mentioned in previous posts may be a good one; I'm not familiar with it. However, consider comparing it to a Hart before purchase.

I've been partial to the Caldwell Rock BR. Recently, at my advanced age, pushing 80 really hard, due to inflexibility of the neck and back, I switched to the Lead Slead that I got for the 338LM. I no longer can get low enough to get tight to the stock so this works in my case. I no longer hunt unless you consider hunting the elusive .000' group.

I started with a Bald Eagle cast rest and bags. Unless you're trying to shoot matches where you have a time limit, speed to recovery is not a necessary thought.

What does everyone use for shooting off a bench? I am wanting to take out as much of the human element as I can while testing loads. I am currently using front and rear sand bags, but am considering getting the Caldwell Rock JR and then just using rear sand bags.

Does anyone have any preferences or experience with the Rock JR? Is it worth the cheap price?

Amazon product ASIN B0007Y8SBW

I have one and I like it. I only hunt and shoot for fun. I don't compete. I also have some sandbags I made. I prefer the rock Jr rest over the bags because it is more consistent. With bags, you have to adjust them constantly to keep the support the same.

Admittedly a lot more expensive (about $350), I use Grizzly's Y-Rest (https://www.grizzly.com/products/bald-eagle-y-rest-cast-iron/be1006) specifically because I wanted to take the variables out of load testing. It was recommended by a benchrest shooter as being a good choice for new benchrest shooters but much less expensive than the really nice ones they use, and it does the trick. I'm not shooting benchrest but for now, developing loads for several calibers, this, along with a rear bag, takes the human out of the equation and narrows the variables down to the rifle and the loads. The nice part of that is that once I've developed an accurate load, I can really tell where I need to improve my own shooting abilities.
That would be my choice. I have the Caldwell. They do everything to make it look good online or in a catalog, but they are pretty poor rests compared to almost everything else. Still usable, but not great. Probably fine for hunting.

I believe the Bald Eagle or Sinclair would be much better.