Resolution to a former thread

Bnp1088

Gonna rebarrel my 308 to a 6.5cm instead of getting a new gun
Thinking about a muzzle break any recommendations

You don't really need one on a 6.5 CM for hunting applications, unless you're extremely recoil sensitive or you're going for an ultra light rifle and need to mitigate every bit of recoil.

The 6.5 doesn't recoil that much even in a lighter rifle. Muzzle breaks are most useful in competitions where you need to stay on target for multiple shots, or to spot your hits. I shoot a 8 pound 308 with 165's 40-50 shots at a time without a break and the recoil isn't that bad.
Also it gets LOUD, so unless you hunt with ear pro in a break will make that otherwise moderately annoying single shot into something extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant.

Maybe have the smith thread it for a can if that's legal in your state? Best of both worlds because you get some noise reduction and some recoil mitigation.

But if you really want a break, the apa gen 2 and the Alamo 4star offer the most recoil reduction, imo.

Gonna rebarrel my 308 to a 6.5cm instead of getting a new gun
Thinking about a muzzle break any recommendations

After researching brakes a lot I settled on only one brand. For things like 7 Rem Mag and down I use Terminator T 2. For larger up to 7 RUM I would use T 3. They came out with a bigger one for even bigger stuff. It is called T 4.

I have brakes on everything except .223. I did install a brake on a .17 Remington because the shape of the stock had too much drop and I could not see impacts. The brake solved that problem.

The idea one doesn't need a brake is true. One doesn't need a high magnification scope. After all shooters got by with no sights and then open sights for generations. Same thing for light rifles. A light rifle a hundred years ago would be a tank today. But if a guy wants to enjoy his toys to the fullest he get the things that help enjoy his toys.

The most effective brake for the money right now is the Muzzle brakes and more Beast line, recoil reduction on par with brakes twice the cost like the Terminator and APA but the Beast also does an excellent job of muzzle control without porting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.