Dave,
Here is one for you.
Distance - 700 yards
Rifle/load - .308 Win/175 BHA Match @ 2600fps
Angle of wind to line of sight - 10.30-11.00
Necessary windage - 12 minutes
How strong was the wind blowing?

Re: a "Let\'s argue" thread

OK Dave. I've been thinking (your right!!) and just like when I'm helping my boys with their math homework, I tell them to go back and read the question one line at a time. So I did..... and I think I have it.

3 the original starting point of the South Pole (that's a given) and the 2 other points on the triangle that was walked. They are walked the order given, but it doesn't start with the same one everytime.

If I'm wrong, call, page, email, instant message, send message via carrier pigeon, morse-code, whatever but tell Len to go ahead a shut down this site because the goverment will be calling him do to all the profanity on my next post.
grin.gif

Here's one in return:
You have 2 flys (the insects) in a jar and they double their population every minute. If the jar is 100% full of flys in 30 minutes, how long did it take for the jar to be half full of flys?

Steve

Dave,
Well done, my Kestral said 32.4 mph. Pretty calm conditions for Sask. You gotta shoot in that stuff to learn, right. Best 700 yard group was 5" vertical and 7.0 horizontal (four in 5", one opened it to 7"). Wind was nasty, moved the rifle but we had a good shoot. Some groups were 2-3" verticle and over 24" horizontal. Mirage looked like a moving wall.
168's seemed to need less windage than 175's at 700 in the high wind, at least that is what my notes show.

Ian

Just dumb luck. 10:30 wind is difficult to calc.

Steve

Let me think on this 3 answer...

Yup, I agree the South Ploe is one for sure. North 1 mile, east 1 mile then south 1 mile back to the South Pole. I believe you'd have walked about 1/6 the way around the planet at 1 mile north of the South pole moving toward the east.

But I can't see how you'd be able to start at one of the points of the triangle (1 mile north of the South Pole) and walk 1 mile south then walk 1 mile east...at the South Pole ALL directions are north, there is no east or west.

Tell me some more about your thinking on this alternative South Pole method.

I believe that with the exclusion I placed (20 mile area) there are only two places. The South pole as you selected and a point 1.5 miles south of the North Pole. In the North Pole version the person walks north 1 mile to a point .5 miles from the North pole, then walks east all the way around the planet and then proceeds south on top of his/her original tracks back to thestarting point (triangle in the south and an "O" with a tail in the north).

Ian

No temp or elevation, 33 mph or there abouts. Am I close?

Dave,
Now that I've seen your answer, I would say my previous answer of 3 wouldn't be valid either.
I was thinking of a way to have the North/South path be the same but totally missed the circumferance scenario around the North pole. That was a good one!

Steve

Wow! Just how much time do you guys have on your hands?
smile.gif

Len

We're arguing here....don't try to get us off subject(s)!
wink.gif

Ok men you all went just alittle off the deep end there
grin.gif

So lets see what kind of thinkers we have here.(If you aren't a drinking man pretend)

If the bartender serves you a drink and its midway from the top to bottom what is it?

The answer might just surprise you
wink.gif

How's this for dumb luck.
Today I drove down to a friend's place in Montana to do immersion tests on muzzleloader ignition systems. Got rained out
mad.gif

Tim you pretty good there son.

If you are a drinking man then you know it half way to another drink
grin.gif
. Especially if Len or Dave are buying
wink.gif

Is that a near truth?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.