Resizing edge brass on edge dies

nddodd

Guys i got a question about resizing my brass on the edge dies. They are hanging up bad on the expander ball i assume, just curious how to remedy this. All i have is a .30 cal. brush on my RCBS trim mate i didnt know if that may be the reason, am i just not getting the neck cleaned good enough on the inside from the burned powder.

Thanks fella's
Nathan.

Yes i am putting dry, imperrial wax, i believe is what its called on the inside of the necks. I even tried lubing the expander ball with resizing wax that worked a little bit but after about 2 shells it starts hanging again.

Thanks,
Nathan.

Is this already fired brass or are you trying to size 300 RUM brass up to 338 EDGE.
If it is fired brass, I don't use the expander ball part of the die.
If you are sizing 300 RUM brass up to 338, don't use the die, as you will bend the stem. I use a Sinclair mandrel that holds an expander for sizing brass for neck turning. Just use a 338 expander mandrel in the expander body and expand the neck. Then resize with the 338 EDGE FL die.

Yes it is fired brass that i am sizing, i will most certainly try it without the expander ball becouse that is very annoying.

Thanks agian guys,
Nathan.

Just thought I would add that I have the redding dies from shawn carlock. the sizer die is a bushing die, and the instructions from him is that you use the expander button only the first time, when you are expanding the 300 to the 338 diameter. Size the neck only, then take the expander button off and full length size. From then on, do not use the expander button.

Just thought I would add that I have the redding dies from shawn carlock. the sizer die is a bushing die, and the instructions from him is that you use the expander button only the first time, when you are expanding the 300 to the 338 diameter. Size the neck only, then take the expander button off and full length size. From then on, do not use the expander button.

Thanks so much for your info, I got the dies when i purchased the rifle from a gentleman on here, but there was no paperwork in the die box.

Again thanks so much to all of ya'll
Nathan.

You can try to polish the expander ball a bit as well. Take some rouge and put it on a clean cloth, chuck up the expander and spin it with a drill. Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.