Resetting Optical Center on Nightforce Glass

Full Curl

First thing I usually do before mounting new glass is I set the reticle to optical center or at least close to it by using the mirror technique. I do this thinking it'll help get me maximum "adjustment range" for both elevation and windage. I might be overthinking this, but how do I do this on a Nightforce with Zero Stop and no other way to adjust the turrets once the caps are removed? Adjust the elevation and windage dials until the reticle is at optical center and then pull the caps off the dials and reset them both to zero?? Then proceed to actually zero the rifle from there?

Is there even any good reason to reset a reticle to optical center before mounting a new or used scope?

Thanks!

Well...... there are ways to mount scope and have it optically centered, or very close to center.First step is to mt. scope shoot weapon.Then move scope body/reticle to bullet hole.
By using 2 methods.
1) Burris signature rings. If a few .000?,S off it will correct it.
2) Bed or machine rings.....If off a lot.
The value of how accurate you correct is somewhat debatable.
However...... by attempting this goal you are at least realizing more of scope potential adjustments.....

I don't need to read his book I know what works for me through experience but thanks for the heads up on the read.
Some rifles are drilled off center or misaligned with bore centerline.Some barrels are bored/reamed and rifled so as to shoot non parallel to bolt centerline.
If your asking your scope to correct for this,you are using up valuable scope adjustments

Some rifles are drilled off center or misaligned with bore centerline.Some barrels are bored/reamed and rifled so as to shoot non parallel to bolt centerline.
If your asking your scope to correct for this,you are using up valuable scope adjustments
Not saying your wrong. I have never run into an issue having enough scope adjustment if I did I would deal with it then. I let targets tell me if I have issues not OCD.

Well...... there are ways to mount scope and have it optically centered, or very close to center.First step is to mt. scope shoot weapon.Then move scope body/reticle to bullet hole.
By using 2 methods.
1) Burris signature rings. If a few .000?,S off it will correct it.
2) Bed or machine rings.....If off a lot.
The value of how accurate you correct is somewhat debatable.
However...... by attempting this goal you are at least realizing more of scope potential adjustments.....
What the OP is looking at doing is quite different than what you are explaining here. No doubt you are correct in your concept.
The OP thinks if he zeroes his reticle in the scope, (which most are zeroed from the factory, unless stated otherwise), he somehow miraculously will have more adjustment when trying to zero the scope at whatever distance he chooses. A scope only has so much internal travel.
In the context the OP wrote it, this thread was over at post #2.

I ran into an issue a couple of times myself.I ran out of elevation adjustment on a rifle trying to sight it in.I bought the next highest rings and was able to get the rifle sighted in.The next time I ran into an issue was I ran out of windage adjustment on a Ruger 1.I need to go 6" to the left and the scope ran out of adjustment and the rings had no adjustment either,the receiver is grooved for the rings so what do you do next.The scope was previously on a Remington 700 and it was working perfectly on that rifle.A knowledgeable fellow was there and he told me to reset the scope back to factory zero and told me how to do it.So from where the scope adjustment had stopped,I counted the number of clicks until it ran out of adjustment the other direction,then counted the number of clicks it took to go half way,which put the scope in the center of travel direction either way.I repeated that same step for the elevation adjustment as well.After all that movement of the turrets,I was quite surprised that I was only off 3" from the target bullseye the next shot and quite easy adjusted the scope to hit the bullseye.It's easier and quicker to do this with a mirror over the objective.You will see two sets of reticles.Simply turn the turrets until you see only one set.