optical center of your scope.

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Sika Slayer, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Sika Slayer

Sika Slayer Well-Known Member

I see most use a rail with eg 20 deg incline to keep their reticule more or less centered. I have enough travel in my scope to easily shoot as far as I wold like to shoot without any incline in the rail.
    So what is the advantage of using a inclined rail ? I am using a 7mm Rem Mag with a VX6 3-18 and have no aspiration to shoot beyond 1000 yards.

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

IMHO, Bruce puts it best ...

3. Sika Slayer

Sika Slayer Well-Known Member

Thanks for reply,
    Does the incidence angle effect apply to 1st and 2nd plane scopes to the same degree ?

4. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

Yes, because the aberrations that cause image blur happen in the objective lens.

5. hybridfiat

hybridfiat Well-Known Member

Thank you for that reply it is very helpful

6. DocB

DocB Well-Known Member

In your specific case with no intention to go beyond 1000 yds, an alternative to a 20 MOA rail might be Burris Signature Zee rings. They are designed to be used with a flat or sloped rail and with the use of interchangeable ring inserts the MOA incline of your scope can be changed to match your situation and shooting style. They also have the advantage of being able to remove practically all errors encountered when mounting a rail or scope rings.

Go to Bruce's site, check out his Tech articles which go into scholarly and definitive detail regarding these errors. Good reading. He's always ready to offer help too. He's been a great help and friend to me. Check his site out.

DocB

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

lightbulbDITTO!lightbulb