Resetting Optical Center on Nightforce Glass

Are you going to be putting a base on that has MOA's built in? They have the scope centered and then to adjust for elevation means you're doing an awful lot of work just to screw it up. And as far as windage would it not be just as easy to count up your total clicks and go back to the middle
Yes, 20MOA base. I'm not going to touch the zero stop or the turret covers and I'll just optically center it using the mirror method dialing the turrets. Then I'll install it and zero it at 200yds by twisting turrets. Then I'll set the zero stop and windage cap and then just dial the turrets until they stop to see how much room I have. I'm sure it'll be sufficient to reach 1000yds.

Definitely overthinking it. Just mount it properly, and then pull the bolt out and look down the barrel and center the bore on an object about 50-100 yards away. And then adjust the scope to align with the object the bore is centered on. There's zero reason to pre-adjust the scope, only to immediately adjust it again once it's mounted.
Thanks! That's the plan.

Guys with NF zero stop glass... when you set the zero stop on your elevation turret, do you set the dial to be 0 at your zeroed distance, let's say 200yds? Or do you set your dial 0 to be 1 - 2 MOA's under 200yds so you have some room to dial down if needed and also so that there is no preloaded tension on the dialing system? Hope I explained that correctly.

Guys with NF zero stop glass... when you set the zero stop on your elevation turret, do you set the dial to be 0 at your zeroed distance, let's say 200yds? Or do you set your dial 0 to be 1 - 2 MOA's under 200yds so you have some room to dial down if needed and also so that there is no preloaded tension on the dialing system? Hope I explained that correctly.
NF zero stop by lack of a term is primitive, and harder to set exactly if you want to be able to dial down.
IMO, you want your zero to be where you intend. I would zero at 200 if desired, then turn the zero stop clockwise till it stops, then come back ever so slightly. Of course now you have to snug it up, put the turret cover back on and tighten to see how much below you actually have. Having 2 moa below is acceptable to me, as I don't shoot in the dark.

NF zero stop by lack of a term is primitive, and harder to set exactly if you want to be able to dial down.
IMO, you want your zero to be where you intend. I would zero at 200 if desired, then turn the zero stop clockwise till it stops, then come back ever so slightly. Of course now you have to snug it up, put the turret cover back on and tighten to see how much below you actually have. Having 2 moa below is acceptable to me, as I don't shoot in the dark.
Thanks! I actually prefer a "hard" stop at the '0" on the dial that corresponds to my rifle's 200yd zero. But I know some guys like the idea of being able to dial down. Also, is there any mechanical advantage of dialing down past your rifle's zero to negate any preloaded tension on the dialing system in the scope?

I don't shoot in the dark either but the less my brain has to think about when dialing my DOPE the better, hard to mess up a hard stop at the rifle's zero, at least for my thick skull :)

If you were 6" off, then ran your turrets all the way back and forth, and then were only 3" off, I'd say you have a scope that doesn't track accurately.
I still think we are talking about two different things.What you are talking about is tracking and repeatability where you move the turret a certain number of clicks one direction,then then turning the turret back and then the point of impact changed because the scope did not track right.After I reset my scope back to factory zero,I gained back my ability to continue tracking to the left another 125 clicks where before resetting the scope back to zero I could no longer move to the left,only 250 clicks to the right.

I set my zero stop 2MOA +/- below my 200 yard zero.
I get my zero at 100 yards.
Dial down .5 MOA
Set zero stop
Put turret (cap) back on and find 200 yard zero.
Set 0 on turret (cap) to 200 yard zero
Now if I need to I can dial down to 18.5 MOA (down 1.5 MOA from actual 0, on a dial with 20 MOA per rev) and shoot accurately at 100

Most people I know zero at 100 and lock in their zero stop and zero there.

Last edited:
I set my zero stop 2MOA +/- below my 200 yard zero.
I get my zero at 100 yards.
Dial down .5 MOA
Set zero stop
Put cap back on and find 200 yard zero.
Set 0 on cap to 200 yard zero
Now if I need to I can dial down to 18.5 MOA (down 1.5 MOA from actual 0, on a dial with 20 MOA per rev) and shoot accurately at 100

Most people I know zero at 100 and lock in their zero stop and zero there.
Thanks. I'm going to have to read this a few times and digest it.

I set my zero stop at 200 yd zero then set up my rangefinder at a 200 yd zero. Not sure what .5 MOA down would give you other than the possibility of being .5 MOA low at longer ranges which could end up as a miss or a bad hit. The first thing I do before dialing is make sure I am up against the zero stop. I am sure others do it differently. I just try to take out as many variables as possible when hunting.

Mine is 0 at 100 yds and that is where my zero stop is set. If my target is closer than 100 yds then I can hold low and be ok most of the time

I set my zero stop at 200 yd zero then set up my rangefinder at a 200 yd zero. Not sure what .5 MOA down would give you other than the possibility of being .5 MOA low at longer ranges which could end up as a miss or a bad hit. The first thing I do before dialing is make sure I am up against the zero stop. I am sure others do it differently. I just try to take out as many variables as possible when hunting.
With a 200yd zero I agree. I like to have a hard stop at my zero and come up from there for the longer ranges. Less things I have to think about when a bull steps out at 450 yards the better.

I have read that some guys like to be able to dial down past zero for carry and storage and then always dial up when shooting to negate any preloaded tension on the dialing system. Not sure if there's anything to that or not??