Research for backcounty hunting

Wyodog

I am in the process of researching a new backcountry hunting spot for mule deer. So far I am using Google earth, EHJ and EBJ MRS sections game and fish web site to learn what I can. I am curious as to some of the methods others are using to sort out as much information as possible on new hunting grounds. The info I'm having trouble finding is things like... how much hunting pressure do certain areas get from horse back hunters. Which basins have potential for good deer population, or antler quality.

Also do any of use Hunting Fool for research help? If so is it worth price of membership?

I'm not asking for secret hunting ground just looking for methods to improve my research technique.

You are doing all the right things to narrow down locations. But in the end you are going to have to get out and scout these places. It's probably going to take a few years until you really have a good number of options. High country locations are probably the most closely guarded of any hunting spot so you won't get much help from forums. So Google Earth the hell out of the areas you're interested in (pay close attention to topo) if they have them get a hiking guide for trails you are interested in, they often have a use/busy rating and get out and scout them. I have found good areas scouting only to come during the season and find horse trailers stuffed in the parking area so sometimes you just never know until the season starts.

It sounds like you have a good solid start for you research. Information such as specific drainages or things like that are parts of the puzzle you will have to find out by scouting or hunting an area several years. I live 1600 miles from where I mule deer hunt so I arrive 2-3 days prior to the opening day to scout. This helps me out a lot. Topo maps, National Forest maps, BLM maps, etc. are very useful. Knowing where the roads and established trails are located will help you understand where most human pressure will be. Just keep your expectations within reason and enjoy the whole experience and process of scouting and hunting, because it is a process. Each year you will be much better prepared for your next hunt.
Good Luck

Once you have areas picked out you can call the local game wardens and forest rangers and pick their brain. Now that hunting seasons are mostly over you should be able to reach them.

I also call the Parks and Wildlife field officers that handle the area I'm looking at as well as the forest rangers. Most of the time I have gotten helpful information.

I've also found that getting to know the Parks and Wildlife field officers can really pay off. I always call the particular field officer for the area where I archery hunt, and tell them my basic plans, what truck i'm driving and where I'm parking, if I have anybody else with me, even tell them where I'm planning on setting up camp and general hunting area. It develops a level of trust that you're not poaching, and have even gotten text messages during the season from them of where they are seeing/hearing bulls bugle.

Along with all the tools you mentioned, I also get the Trail Guide book about the area. Typically the authors are a bit more on the granola side, but the information has been excellent. They will do reviews of the various trails that weave through the area you're looking at and pass on information... the new area I'm currently researching has a large creek running next to the trail, and the trail crosses over the creek several times. The trail guide pointed out that one of the bridges washed out in an avalanche back in the mid 2000's and there are no plans to fix it so you have to ford the creek.

Also will do a bunch of google searches to try and see if there are any outfitters in the area i'm looking at, and any that I find, I call and act like a potential costumer and ask how many other guys will be in camp.

Never used hunting fool, but if it costs money I doubt I'll ever consider it. But also curious to see if anybody considers the fee worth while.

I've never found a resource outside of the field officers that give information such as hunting pressure or antler genetics. But Colorado (not sure about other states) does post quite a bit of draw and harvest statistics that you can get a general feel for how much pressure a particular unit, or group of units, get. Although it does not help for any particular smaller area within a unit.

Like most backpack hunters, I typically rely on distance to separate from the crowds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.