Binoculars for hunting and scouting

I want to use a decent binocular for Graylag goose hunt, to scout the fields for birds and look for Rock ptarmigan to name a few things. (I live in Iceland so if my english is a little bit off, I apologise)
So the bino have to be clear enough to identify the species at least :D

Your English is probably better than all of us combined. :) I was thinking deer/etc. At what distance are you trying to identify?

All very true, folks. You will want another rifle, but I went with the Leica binoculars 30? years ago for a grand and never looked back. They're great forever.

Go to some of those "birding" forums and look around there, they usually have covered everything from low $ to $$$$. If you become a member don't tell them it's for hunting, they may not help you!

I bought a set of these: https://www.vanguardworld.com/collections/binoculars/products/endeavor-ed-ii-1042. I like them, I've seen great reviews when I was looking for a set on binoculars but idk how they are now.

I use Bushnell ARC 1 Mile 10X range finding binoculars so i can leave one piece of gear behind, a rangefinder.

And yes, it IS worth the extra money. My Bushnell's are not the same glass quality as Zeiss or Leica but they are pretty good, sorta "above average" but not world class ED glass.
Eric B.

Field glasses and rangefinder go hand in hand. I learn to use field glass in the middle 70's and not without then going forward. I wish I had learn to use before when I was in Vietnam in 69. That may have saved some lives. I will never know, but I felt it may have. It's was when we logger at different places in the fields. The VC had enough cover to set up their morter where we couldn't see with our eye's but field glass would have taken care of that problem.

Mike, IMHO field glasses should be issued to EVERY Lt. and possibly every Sgt. in combat situations. It is well known that in vietnam even rifle scopes were often civilian models. Thankfully we now have DMR marksmen in every company with an accurized 7.62 x 51 with a good scope and most troops have a Trijicon red dot on their M4 or M16 rifles. Optics seem to be on most NATO assault rifles these days.

And now with thermal monoculars coming down to a decent price that should be something EVERY recon company gets in spades.

Naturally they would have to sleep with them B/C they would be a very high theft item.
Eric B.

I realize that the M-4 are mounted with scopes today in our army. Binoculars are need too. Training on how to use them. First I had to learn what is really needed to use the binoculars. How to sit in one spot and take a mountain side apart. A friend and I learned to hunt with binoculars. He moved so I went back to hunting with my cousins, and me with my binoculars. They had barely moved into rifle scopes. In two morning opening weekend I pointed out more deer than they could hardly believe. The next weekend they all had some sort of binoculars hanging for their necks. My sons as they started to hunt deer, I gave them a set binoculars. They would sit with me and look. It got to be a game to see who would spot the first deer or other game, and how many. When I was young long legged I would cover the whole countryside walked it all. Now I cover the side country side, but hardly walk at all, see a lot more animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.