15 power binoculars

Would you guys ever consider a 12x over a 15x ? Does that extra 3x make that much of a difference ?

Ive used everything there is that's worth mentioning and I actually prefer to use 12X most of the time. There are times when I prefer 15X power binos but that usually when I know that I'm not going to get too far from the vehicle. In my opinion you need more than 15 power to judge animals at long distances and I spot game just as well over all with 12x. I mount my binos on a tripod whenever possible because you will spot better that way no matter what power of glass you have. That being said if were my money and was stuck on 15x I would go with the Leica and never need to buy another pair. My 12x are Meopta and I have been extremely pleased with these glasses.

I was considering the 12x cause I don't feel the 3x is that big of a difference. I do feel the weight of a 15x is a big factor especially walking around in AZ..

All day every day isnt a problem with any good glass thats properly alligned.
Even the best quality can be or get bumped out of allignment. A small ammount is
enough to make a difference for extended glassing sessions for both image quality
and comfort level. Thats a very big plus for twin spotters as they can be alligned
right on the spot should the need ever arise. As with factory built glasses a trip to
the factory or to a qualified technition is required.
As for carrying large glasses of any type, a backpack is the best option.
That way even heavier ones are still easy to carry for long distances. Also the tripod
can be attached to the pack or slid into the scabbard intended for a rifle. The comment made about power choice is spot on. 12x is enough for glassing, but not
enough for evaluating antlers in all situations. But 15x isnt always either and ive seen
conditions where 20x wasent either. On a good day all will be good, and on a bad
day none will be good but some will be worse than others. You still cant look thru
a fish bowl like heavy mirage even with very expensive glasses. Those that think
otherwise havent actually tried it.

Today I finally got the time to visit the guys at camerlandNy .. tested all of the binos I could from the minox to the kaibabs and slc even the zeiss

The eye cups on the vortex where a little uncomfortable but not over bearing to the point to rule them out very good glass..

Minox was on par with the vortex and for the price either one will be a great buy

SLC is far the best of them all but for 2250 price tag may have them out of the budget

I was very please with the new zeiss conquest hd comfortable clear

I went during sunset to see the difference in low light i must agree the minox are much brighter then the vortex. The zeiss and minox to me are dead even in comparison. The SLC are awesome

Still undecided but leaning toward the zeiss or minox

I have the razor 12x50 hd and bought a pair of zeiss 15s. Going to do a head to head test this weekend to see which I like better. Before the razors I had kaibabs and was not impressed. I just love having less weight on my chest when i'm in the field. Lets see if the 15s swing my vote back to big eyes or not

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.