Replacing Tikka Extractor

General RE LEE

I posted a thread about a wild mistake I made yesterday at the range. I loaded up some 130 grain Barnes TTSX in 308 and 30-06. I had both ammo boxes on the bench and inadvertently loaded a 308 in my 30-06 and blew out the extractor on my bolt.

I ordered a new extractor from Mid West Gun Works but there are zero videos on You Tube of how to install the spring, plunger and extractor.

Can anyone help on how to install a new extractor on my Tikka bolt?

That's an odd one...
Darn near identical breech diameters for the two- so I'm trying to figure out the nature of your case separation.
This wasn't a "typical" casehead separation from weak brass and/or excessive headspace. There was a mile of clearance to the shoulder when you chambered and lit that case. I would have bet my last dollar that the front of the case would have blown out as the shoulder tried to stretch that mile.

Got a picture of what was left of that case?

I wouldn't be so quick to just replace the extractor and call it "good". You should have that chamber and leade inspected with a borescope by a smith.

Needless to say, but I'm going to say it anyway since no one else has- whether reloading, or at the range-only ONE rifle and ammo out at any time, same as only one powder, brass, and bullet on the reloading bench. Shooters have been severely injured and killed over mistakes like this.

See if this video helps. After you put the spring in the hole place the plunger with the long "tongue" toward the outside of the bolt. Then do what this video shows without using their pliers.

Thank you. I saw that video but it didn't show the spring and plunger install. I will reference this later.

That's an odd one...
Darn near identical breech diameters for the two- so I'm trying to figure out the nature of your case separation.
This wasn't a "typical" casehead separation from weak brass and/or excessive headspace. There was a mile of clearance to the shoulder when you chambered and lit that case. I would have bet my last dollar that the front of the case would have blown out as the shoulder tried to stretch that mile.

Got a picture of what was left of that case?

I wouldn't be so quick to just replace the extractor and call it "good". You should have that chamber and leade inspected with a borescope by a smith.

Needless to say, but I'm going to say it anyway since no one else has- whether reloading, or at the range-only ONE rifle and ammo out at any time, same as only one powder, brass, and bullet on the reloading bench. Shooters have been severely injured and killed over mistakes like this.

Attachments

• 555E1B9B-D98B-4591-BC39-2F6A5153A150.jpeg
    555E1B9B-D98B-4591-BC39-2F6A5153A150.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
^^^
So, looks like it did exactly what I thought- blew out the entire shoulder of the case.
All that "missing" brass from the neck and shoulder went somewhere... hopefully most of it followed the bullet on the way out.
But as I said above, despite it being softer brass I'd check for any damage from the chamber all the way down the bore with a borescope before thinking about chambering another round to confirm no damage or obstructions.

Normally case separations occur at the casehead when that area stretches to contact the boltface- the case shoulders are contacting that area of the chamber so the only place the brass can go is to the rear. Never seen one like this where the front of the case has been completely blown out.

Thank you although in my case the extractor is already out so I am replacing it.
Ok, In that case insert the spring, Then the plunger, Press down carefully with pick and insert new extractor, And as tobnpr said, Check everything carefully, You just had a catastrophic event that caused damage , You may have only noticed the obvious!