Replacement for 220 Swift

I never really wanted Any more performance than what the Swift provided. I've never had anything more accurate. I think I'll re-barrel and twist it a little tighter. Stay with the Swift on this one. I just wouldn't feel right not having my old Swift. Sooo who should I go to for a barrel? Shilen? Is it possible to get an un-chambered TC encore barrel to build some of these above mentioned cartridges? Crap, I'm going to need to buy some Leupold stock or get a part time job there.
Brux and Krieger makes some of the best barrels you'll find.

Ha, another long time Swift shooter here, hard to beat it in any standard chambered round. With a faster twist it will stabilize the longer 80 grn or larger projectiles and really make other calibers have to push hard to keep up. With the 55 grn stuff the results can be spectacular!

I can't imagine holding my old tang safety Ruger 220 Swift that had been re chambered to some other caliber and having the same warm tingling deadly feeling it gives me now.

Sell all but one gun safe so room is limited, and then only buy one rifle after you sell another because you don't have any room in the one safe.;)

I told a good friend this so he went out and bough a humongous safe that held more rifles than he had. Oh Well.:rolleyes:

At least it worked for me because I wanted to build almost everything I heard about. and it did cut down on the components that I needed to feed the beast.

Good luck with that !!!

J E CUSTOM
I tried that but ended up building a combination hardroom/gun room!

on the brass-- I full length resize when they start getting pretty snug,otherwise neck size and anneal with each firing. I don't know that the brass wear out in the web area unless the pockets get loose.

I went with a 9 twist and was going to shoot 75 amax until I tried to get them in the magazine

Cantshootalick Criterion makes a pretty good tube that you can RemAge and save the Smith fees. I headspace off a brand new case with good results.

Factory bullets for the .224 were limited to 60ish grains for years, As the same for many cartridges/calibers. Technology has really changed things.
A retired rancher has a .223 and a .220 swift, both old school Ruger, they look brand new. He wants $425 each for them. I've been thinking about them since this thread started. Hope they don't go anywhere until the Sherman builds are done.
I went through a couple of M77/22's in .22 Hornet and both were great rifles. Not quite the punch of the Swift but out to .300yds they were deadly on PD sized critters.

I went through a couple of M77/22's in .22 Hornet and both were great rifles. Not quite the punch of the Swift but out to .300yds they were deadly on PD sized critters.
I've known about these Rugers for almost a year. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

on the brass-- I full length resize when they start getting pretty snug,otherwise neck size and anneal with each firing. I don't know that the brass wear out in the web area unless the pockets get loose.

I went with a 9 twist and was going to shoot 75 amax until I tried to get them in the magazine

Cantshootalick Criterion makes a pretty good tube that you can RemAge and save the Smith fees. I headspace off a brand new case with good results.
Didn't realize that remage was a thing. I have an old southbend lathe and was planning to do my own smithing. I like this a lot better.

Not recalling the casehead diameter on the Swift, but If it is .476 then you got lots of choices...

Want a real Blaster? A real bore-burner??? Which is what the Swift was once known as... The 6mm/284 is an upgrade in many respect, but there's also a .22/284 for just cost of a chamber reaming job.

Kind of partial to the .22-250, but... no longer have one. Depending on casehead dimension, unless you want/have to open-up the bolt, or sleeve the boltface you're looking at what your bolt will work with. I'm happy with a .223rem in 6.5 twist for heavy bullets, but likely your Swift barrel is a 1:12 twist (Remington 700).

I would sell the rifle as a collectible and buy something like a Tikka Varmint, or go with a custom action and do a .22-250 in 1:7 for heavy bullets. Then again, for all-around use a 6.5mm SAUM or 7mm has some appeal. Many like the WSM case for it's heavier tensile strength. 6.5mm covers varmints and med game.

Of course, can always do a Switch-Barrel rig and have lots of fun!

If you have alot of .220 brass, rebarrel it to the .220 swift again. If you want a different option, the 22-250 Ackley is tough to beat. Lapua 22-250 brass is available and fireforming is simple plus your able to fireform as your shooting targets or game. The other recommendations are also good. Anything with more case capacity than the 22-250 and barrels will go much faster. I think 1000-1200 for a fast twist 22-250 ai is about the norm.

I just built a custom 220 Swift AI off a Stiller Predator action with a 28" heavy varmint Bartlein and man this thing shoots everything I've tried for it. After researching the Swift and experiencing it for myself, it's just a very accurate caliber. I love it and looking forward to get it out calling.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts