Heavy load for 220 swift?

The heavy .224 caliber loadings are definitely fun. Mine is a 1/9 twist 22/250 and I shoot 70 grain VLDs at 3475. I'm sure the .220 would be an absolute riot with a fast twist.

I'm somewhat surprised more manufacturers don't offer at a fast twist 220 Swift or 22-250. To me it's a no brainer. The fast twist opens a whole new world of capability with the .224s. Of course, the philosophy "velocity sells" would need to take a back seat for people to buy in.

Anything over 3200 fps is fast to me. I run a stock Kimberly 22-250 that shoots fantastic. You got me to thinking now. When/if I burn out my barrel I will look into 1:9 twist and high BC projectiles. Hmmm. :)

This is my little rat gun that I've owned for several years. It's a Ruger Mark II (ss varmint) that is in more or less stock form. I had the action trued/blueprinted, trigger (I believe a timney on this one), and bedded in a Boyd stock.
My buddy loads up 43grns of H380, WLR primers, and 50gr V-max bullets at 3900fps. This has been a great load for rats, but looking for samething with more of a splat factor on chucks. Do you guys know of a better load for the bigger varmints? I'd like to get more lead out there but know I'm limited and considering buying/building a 6mm. Heading to Montana in late June and hear it's pretty windy (never been there) and don't want to be under powered when I get there. Suggestion please!!

Actually going too a 6mm-220 Swift which is a real nice cartridge might be fun if your going to hunt deer as well with it. Or just go old school with your .220 Swift. Nosler has a load I've used for years in my Swifts. It's from their number three manual, page 131 before all the attorneys got involved.

Here's the load, with my components.

55gr Ballistic Tip
RL-15 {39.0grs}
Federal 210
Winchester case
26" Rem 700 1-12 twist. {they used a 1-14 twist Lilja}
4050 fps

I ran this load across my Model 35P skyscreen III proof chronograph and it was pretty much right on, with no signs of pressure.
I've tip over quite a few rats and dogs with the load; it is "extremely" accurate and not as hard on the barrel as people might say' keep the bore clean.

You want better "splat factor" on groundhogs?

Can you say "vaporization"?

That's what I have MY "sights" set on. I'm talking maybe just a few bone fragments, hairs, and tiny red spots, were the hog USED to be! I don't think the 220 can handle big enough bullets to make it happen, on something of that size. But enter the 7RUM, the Nosler 120gr ballistic tip, and 96.5gr of RL25 behind it, for 3950fps, resulting in 40% of the hitting power of a .50BMG! If that doesn't do it well enough, 100gr hollow points, that you might get 4200fps out of with 100gr of the right powder, surely will. That would be a 1:1 ratio of powder-to-bullet weight, resulting in pure annihilation.

The 220 CAN achieve that ratio also, but only on a much smaller scale.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.