Replacement for 220 Swift

New to the forum. Great to be here. Blah blah blah. Anyway.
I've got a rem700 vssf. I bought the rifle new back when they would only set you back bout $600. It is chambered for 220swift. The rifle has been to the dog town prob 6 times and has done as much work on the farm. The rifle is at this point "shot out". I have a heavy 22-250, heavy 243, hornet, 223. Sooo I'm looking to re-barrel the rifle in another "barrel burner". I loved the Swift but didn't love the rimmed case. Been looking at the 22-243. Whadya guys think? Never ran a wildcat before but looks pretty straight forward.

New to the forum. Great to be here. Blah blah blah. Anyway.
I've got a rem700 vssf. I bought the rifle new back when they would only set you back bout $600. It is chambered for 220swift. The rifle has been to the dog town prob 6 times and has done as much work on the farm. The rifle is at this point "shot out". I have a heavy 22-250, heavy 243, hornet, 223. Sooo I'm looking to re-barrel the rifle in another "barrel burner". I loved the Swift but didn't love the rimmed case. Been looking at the 22-243. Whadya guys think? Never ran a wildcat before but looks pretty straight forward.
I've been shooting the swift since 1985 and if it were me, IT'd just take it to a smith and have it set back a few turns and rechambered in the same caliber.

I've now owned six of them including the same model you currently own and I just have yet to find another .22 hotrod I like as much.

I've also shot a lot of .22 Hornet which performs great but gives you much better barrel life and the ammo is usually dirt cheap.

I shoot a 22-243. It's very accurate knocks coyotes drt. I would look at the 22-243 brass is easy to find. The only down side is it needs to be cleaned often or you can get into trouble with carbon fouling. I'm pushing 75g Amaxs at 3500 with a 26" 1.8 twist barrel.

I've been shooting the swift since 1985 and if it were me, IT'd just take it to a smith and have it set back a few turns and rechambered in the same caliber.

I've now owned six of them including the same model you currently own and I just have yet to find another .22 hotrod I like as much.

I've also shot a lot of .22 Hornet which performs great but gives you much better barrel life and the ammo is usually dirt cheap.
Hell I never thought about that. I know it's in pretty rough shape but maybe it could be reamed on down and "freshen it up".

I shoot a 22-243. It's very accurate knocks coyotes drt. I would look at the 22-243 brass is easy to find. The only down side is it needs to be cleaned often or you can get into trouble with carbon fouling. I'm pushing 75g Amaxs at 3500 with a 26" 1.8 twist barrel.
The Swift was the same way as far as the cleaning is concerned. Moly coated bullets helped a ton though. Can't I just neck down and trim 243 cases for the 22-243?

I would suggest a 22-250AI you can take 22-250 cases to your next dogtown trip and form them while you are killing. The AI will basically shoot a max load a 220 swift will .
So that sounds kinda like a k-hornet kind of thing. We always fire formed in flight with them as well. All good info here.

How about a 22 Creedmore in a fast twist? My Swift is a Ruger with a 14 twist. I'd rather have a fast twist but if I change it might be the Ceedmore.
Yeah. That's something I need to consider. Kansas and South Dakota wind normally picks up pretty bad at bout 10:00 am. Always felt like 55 was bout as heavy as I could run. Normally had to drag out the 6's at that point. Though the Swift was pretty good until I aimed a different direction and forgot to zero my turret. lol

Yeah. That's something I need to consider. Kansas and South Dakota wind normally picks up pretty bad at bout 10:00 am. Always felt like 55 was bout as heavy as I could run. Normally had to drag out the 6's at that point. Though the Swift was pretty good until I aimed a different direction and forgot to zero my turret. lol
If you get a fast twist barrel you can shoot up to 70-75gr in the swift easily.

The old 22 Cheetah was a screamer. Up to 5000fps when loaded hot with light bullets. It was simply a necked down .308win.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.