Replacement barrel advice

dougduey

I think I've burned out the barrel and need a new one. I currently have a stock Rem 700 with a 24" barrel + brake and 1:9.5 twist. I replaced the stock with a HS Precision Pro Series Sporter stock that I love. It will take up to a .750" muzzle diameter barrel without having to inlet the stock.
So, what barrel manufacturer, twist rate, barrel length and barrel contour do you all recommend?? I do want to put a muzzle brake on it. I'm open to a carbon wrapped barrel as well as stainless steel.

I'm thinking at least a 26" barrel before adding the brake and maybe a #4 contour. Do I need the 1:8 twist? Wondered if that would be too fast for the 140 gr bullets that I love for deer and antelope. I know that twist rate is better for the 175+ grain bullets (my current twist wouldn't stabilize the 175 ELDX but was fine with the 175 Partition).

Also, hard to believe that it's hard find a good gunsmith in San Antonio, TX but it is. The couple of good gun shops in the area would want to send the rifle to the barrel maker to have it installed, so that's an issue for me.

Thanks for the help

Doug

I think I've burned out the barrel and need a new one. I currently have a stock Rem 700 with a 24" barrel + brake and 1:9.5 twist. I replaced the stock with a HS Precision Pro Series Sporter stock that I love. It will take up to a .750" muzzle diameter barrel without having to inlet the stock.
So, what barrel manufacturer, twist rate, barrel length and barrel contour do you all recommend?? I do want to put a muzzle brake on it. I'm open to a carbon wrapped barrel as well as stainless steel.

I'm thinking at least a 26" barrel before adding the brake and maybe a #4 contour. Do I need the 1:8 twist? Wondered if that would be too fast for the 140 gr bullets that I love for deer and antelope. I know that twist rate is better for the 175+ grain bullets (my current twist wouldn't stabilize the 175 ELDX but was fine with the 175 Partition).

Also, hard to believe that it's hard find a good gunsmith in San Antonio, TX but it is. The couple of good gun shops in the area would want to send the rifle to the barrel maker to have it installed, so that's an issue for me.

Thanks for the help

Doug
If you have the budget for a custom Hill Country Rifles would be hard to beat. If you're not planning to shoot heavier than 180gr bullets the 1:9 twist should be more than adequate.

Garland Rhodes, GGG in Stephenville builds an excellent rifle as well and so does Dale at Jandal Precision, he's just south of Abilene.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts