load data and advice for 180 Bergers

Boatracer

I have been shooting the STW for near 15 years mine loves 140 nosler CT but am planning on elk hunting next year and will need more weight and a non ballistic tip for larger game whay say you

Mine shoots good around 72gr of 7828 SSC with Nosler brass, 215M primers, and Berger 180 Hybrids. This is not a max load in my rifle, but just a really good shooting one. And it pushes the 180 Hybrids right at 3,000 fps MV.

But as we all know, every rifle is different. There was another guy who posted up on here that his also shot well with the same exact load as my rifle. So, maybe we found a good accuracy node right at 3,000 fps?

As always, work up to find your best/max load in your own rifle.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mudrunner will load a few and see if the old girl likes them. My 140 grain load is 79.5 of H4831 SC

I wouldn't start there, I'd start around 70 and work up to ensure you're not overpressured right from the start.

BTW, I got my Sendero SF 7STW new in 2002, so we've had them about the same.

I am that guy...

I run 180 VLD-H over 71.5 grains of regular 7828 through a 26 inch Lilja 9 twist in Nosler brass with 215M primer and clock at 2980fps. Shoots sub 0.5 MOA out to 600. Shot a 200 yard bughole this fall when checking my setup for elk and deer hunts and smoked a decent Whitetail buck at 580 yards this year. It is hard to want to monkey with this load.

For something to do, I will be trying RL-33 in it this summer just to see if I can kick the velocity up a bit and keep similar accuracy.

My Sendero likes 78 Gr of Retumbo with Fed215 and Nosler Brass. COL = 3.841 or .020 OTL. I have validated the speed to be just around 3032 with drops out to 1000. Shots .5 MOA out to 500 consistently. Most accurate gun and load I have ever shot and it repeats over and over. I started at 74.5 grains and ran into pressure (bolt lift) at 79 grains.

Could not get Retumbo to work in Sendero 7RM running the 168 VLD. 7828SC worked best there.

Now testing 195 VLD and N570 in the STW to see it they can match the 180 for accuracy and consistently. The N570 is so much cleaner burning then Retumbo. Shot cases come out with hardly and back on the necks.

It is fun when you get a load/gun to shot this good.

jjw
ND

Try the Barnes 150's you won't be disappointed. I've shot Elk and Mule deer with these in my STW and all with excellent results. If your interested, I'll post all the data for mine in a 24" barrel runs right at 3,400 fps.

Please do Buck tried several Barnes products but nothing would touch the Nosler CT for speed or good groups but all in 140 gr

7mm STW
Barnes 150 grain TSX tipped BC: .450
Remington STW brass new
Powder IMR 7828 80 grains
Federal large rifle primer
Average speed 3,250 fps with a 24 inch barrel.

With my new build, I'm going to try the Barnes 145 LRX BC: 486
I'm still breaking in the barrel and will post when done, here is a shot of the 150 with only 68 grains. This was my 1st 3 shot break in got 2 more left to do.

I haven't even started to work with the load or seating depth so I'm hoping to do better than this. Waiting for my competition dies from Redding.

Attachments

• 20160411_193142.jpg
    20160411_193142.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 19
Hello Buck,
Can you provide the distance from the lands you had the tightest groups with. Barnes are very fickle for my sendero.
Thanks
ODAVID

I can give you my Over all length, my biggest issue with the Barnes is their long bullets. I'm limited to the length of my magazine box so I can't play with any longer unless I want a single shot.
My over all length is right at 3.600, Barnes recommends .050 of the lands.
Honestly it's something with all bullets you got to find.
Once I get my new micro dies, I'm going to really play with those numbers.
Not sure if this helps. Bullets can be just like Chevy, Ford and Dodge it's a preference. For me it was the core lock for so many years and then I found Barnes and haven't looked back. I shoot them in all my center fire rifles, pistol, muzzle loader and slug gun.

If you are dead set on 180 Bergers then 77-79 grains Retumbo all shot extremely well in my Cooper model 52 with 26" barrel. I put 3 bullets in the vitals of a cow elk this year and she kept going. I was close inside 100 yards and muzzle velocity 3050 fps. I don't feel this bullet up close has the penetration necessary. I had to shoot her twice in the head to finish her off. All confirmed hits. Didn't have time to disect and analyze I use gutless method. Daylight was fading fast and I had a long pack out. I was un impressed enough I didn't have to see what the Bullets did inside. Now on mule deer I have a complete opposite opinion. Just my experience but I would choose another bullet. I currently have both Barnes LRX, nosler 175 ABLR and Hornady 175 ELD-X I am testing out. I will say the bergers shot excellent.

Thanks BUCK268. I am going to workup some loads for mine as well. I agree with you Barnes work well in everything I shoot as well. I really like the cutting petals.
odavid

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.