Advice for working up new load

bigbass

Hey guys, I'm rusty on my reloading and needing a starting point. By reading your articles and loads I want to start reloading again. I have a Rem 700 SF STW, 180 VLD
Berger Bullets and RL 25 Powder and want to get started. None of my old books have this combo and need a min and max for this setup. I understand the STW like some jump with my touching point being 3.860, I'm planning to start from 3.850,3.840 etc until I find what she likes. I'll be using some CCI magnum primers, thanks for any help, Mike

According to the Berger manual for STW with 180's and Reloder 25, you are looking at....

Start: 69.5
Max: 73.0

But remember, those are just guidelines, but approach max loads with caution to see where your gun starts exhibiting pressure signs.

I use IMR 7828 SSC in mine for pushing the 180 Hybrids. I've worked up to 71.0 and I'm just at 3,000 fps with no pressure signs. So, when it becomes cooler and more like fall, I will continue working up that load to see where I max out pressure and velocity at. I'm hoping to push 3,100 fps...But we'll see.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.