Remington or Weathery Vanguard

Wachsmann

I have been thinking about a semi custom build. Other than a lot of smith I have talked with seem to want to work on Remington actions is the Remington any better than the weather vanguard/howa 1500 action. I'm thinking about a 7mm Remington mag being the rifle. But really looking at the actions right now. To me it seem like the howa 1500 on the vanguards are pretty smooth out of the box not that remingtons aren't. I think I would be safe to say the Remingtons probably have more after market parts that are easy to obtain. But is the Remington any superior for as quality or will it blue print better, more robust, etc...etc...?

If Jewel made a trigger for the Vanguard I would choose the Vanguard every time. Since they don't, a Remington can be made to work. Now if you can find a Mark 5 Weatherby, that's my first choice.

I like both actions, and other than the Metric Barrel threads on the Vanguard (That can be a problem getting a smith to re barrel if you ever wanted to). they can be very accurate. As you mentioned, there are a lot more parts for the Remington's so that would be my recommendation. The Remington SPS actions are not very smooth because of the finish on the bolt, but if you try one of the polished or jeweled bolts you will find them much better.

To save money I would recommend a rifle Like the Remington Sendero with a laminated stock
because you would have all of the better parts to build on as you wanted to. the only part I would recommend is a good aftermarket trigger.

I, like Hired Gun also like the Mark 5 Weatherby action best, but they are to expensive to just buy for the action in most cases.

The reason that most smiths like the 700 Remington action to build on is that they respond well
to accurizing and bedding making there life easier when trying to build an accurate rifle.

Good Luck On your build

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts