Free Float a Vanguard

270Weatherby

I just put a new Bell And Carlson on my Vanguard S2. It has two pressure pads at the tip of the stock. Should I shave those out? Shoot it first and see, then shave them out? What are the chances groups will open up with out the pressure points?

Remove your action screws and then the floorplate assembly and magazine well. Look through the magazine area at the bottom of the action at the front edge of the magazine hole. How much room do you now see between the bottom of the action and the action itself? Does the action essentially rest right on the aluminum support or is there a big gap?

If the action seems to fit tightly on the bottom then I'd just reassemble, torque rear and then front screws to 55 in-lb and shoot it. If it shoots well then leave it alone. If not, then not only would I remove the pressure points but I would also bed the action into your new stock for the best accuracy and repeatability.

Let us know what you find. I've done it both ways.

Oh, don't be surprised if you have to shave the stock a little bit to get the safety to work well.

Thank you for the advice I will look it over this weekend and get it to the range next week

No problem.

I ask you to look because I had a Mark V with at least 1/4 inch between the action and the stock when I set the action in place. There was no way I could torque the screws enough to bend it down and fit the stock. Most of them fit quite well, but I always caution people to check them first.

I recently bought a 240 Weatherby Vanguard S2 and put a scope on it and got it on paper at 100 yards and the first 3 shots were in 5/8". Mine is a very accurate rifle right out of the box. I would shoot it before doing anything drastic.

Put the new stock on and there is a small gap between bedding block and action, but the Vanguard has one action screw in the recoil lug. So in effect the action is pillar bedded. Need to get to the range and get some testing done before I get it bedded.

Oh tbird, it shot fine out of the box, just wanted a better look

but the Vanguard has one action screw in the recoil lug. So in effect the action is pillar bedded.

Not really. There is still stock material from the recoil lug down to the floor plate in most stocks, and if there's air under your recoil lug then it's not bedded at all.

If you bed a Vanguard, do NOT put tape on the bottom side of the recoil lug.

There is no air under the recoil lug. That is the only contact point I can find.
That being said I still just want to shoot it and see the repeatability then work on bedding.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.