Remington Large Rifle Magnum Primer Issues

I have fired unknown numbers of Remington 9 1/2's over the years and never had one fail.
However I have never replaced a firing pin or spring on a Remington 700 until recently, I replaced it with a GRE-tan.
I was amazed at the difference with the factory one
Ditto, fired many thousands of Remy primers in the last 50 plus years. Never a ftf.

If you hit a remmy primer well and it is properly seated, it will fire... I've fired a dumpload of them between rifle and pistol and the only gripe I have with them is the small pistol ones like to turn a bit once in a while seating them, and you end up with a sideways primer. I think the cup has a touch of a burr on it at times in small pistol.

How many rounds does one need to fire to need a new firing pin spring?

If you ask the benchrest guys they will tell you that they replace them every year. Some guys say to replace them after 1,500rds, or so.

I might add that rifles that are put away for the season, with the firing pins in the cocked position (rather than relaxed), would probably shorten the serviceable life of a spring. I always relax the pin/spring after cleaning my rifles and before they are put away for any period of time. And yeah - I've got a few safe queens that are rarely shot.

I replaced all of my springs with Chrome Silica springs from Gre-Tan. IIRC, they only cost about $10. At that price, it sure wouldn't hurt to replace old springs that have seen decades of service.

I bought 1K of Remington LRM primers at a show. I have been trying to develop 7 PRC loads and work on my 7 Rem Meg simultaneously. Of the 20 loads I made, nine failed to fire. I pulled the loads and found the primers unfired.
I called Remington and they claimed since I bought them at a show, there was zero warranty. They felt the seller could have stored them improperly. Okay.
So, I tracked down more LRM primers at a shop in Phoenix, which turned out to be Remington. I gritted my teeth and bought them. Of the next 20 loads, I had one FTF.
I put all the bad primers in 7 Rem Mag brass and ran them through my Remington 700. Half fired. So I think my new Ruger has a weak hit on the firing pin. I think I should clean it out before getting too worked up.
Does anyone else have issues with Remington taking more energy to set off? I have been using Federal, but I'm about out.

I had the same thing happen to me when I was doing load development on my Weatherby 30-378 only tried them because my gunsmith told me to give them a try, they were a waste of my time, I've always used Federals with no issues, those Remington's went in the trash

Recent Posts