Large rifle primer vs magnum

teampete

Hey all,

I have a buddy of mine who says that there is no need to use LArge Rifle Magnum primers for a 300 win mag. He says large rifle primers work fine and actually are easier to help find the sweet spot. Anyways I have shot some loads with regular large rifle primers and everything seems ok. What is the difference in the primers and will using non-magnum primers effect accuracy, distance, etc.

I don't believe you can generalize this. I have found primer type and brand differences to effect accuracy and ES. You need to test this with your specific caliber and load. Generally, you should get better and more consistent ignition with magnum primers in high capacity, magnum cases. I get much better ES in my 6.5-284 using Retumbo with Fed215's than with standard primers.

I don't believe you can generalize this. I have found primer type and brand differences to effect accuracy and ES. You need to test this with your specific caliber and load. Generally, you should get better and more consistent ignition with magnum primers in high capacity, magnum cases. I get much better ES in my 6.5-284 using Retumbo with Fed215's than with standard primers.

I agree with this. However, in extremely cold temperatures, a magnum primer will generate a hotter ignition. You need to try both primers in conditions similar to those where you hunt.

Another good time to use the magnum primers in any shell is if you're loading ball powders. They seem to need the extra fire of the magnum primers. The Federal 215 is a more consistent primer than most.

The first requirement for good primer performance is a firing pin spring with the correct rating. A weak one won't smack any primer hard enough to make its ignition consistantly uniform. Weak springs cause vertical shot stringing. And firing pin springs weaken over time. Replacing my factory 23 pound ones with 26 pound ones made a big difference.

I used the mildest large rifle primer made; RWS 5341 in wearing out two 30 caliber magnum barrels in matches. Even in 35 degree weather, they worked very well indeed. I don't think you have to use magnum primers; they're usually not as uniform as standard ones. Wolf magnum primers may well be the most uniform.

There are some videos of primers igniting with a high speed camera on the net. I've
watched them and there is a big difference in the flame that is thrown out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.