Remington Custom Shop Mountain Rifle KS

philny1

Does anyone know what goes into the Remington Custom Shop guns???
As far as the barrel, action, bedding, accuracy reqiirements. Their site gives very little info on this model. Is the value there or is it all hype and a big price tag.light bulb
Phil

While I don't have a custom shop Mtn. KS. I do have 2 "C" grade and one AWR from the custom shop. I can tell you that the fit and quality is better than the production versions and with the AWR the barrel is a different contour than production along with the stock being a McMillan and the metal finishes are better and different also. I do beleive that if you call back to the custom shop you can request quite a few different options that aren't listed and of course they will be added on to the price as well and there are different caliber choices that aren't listed either so it is pretty much a custom rifle .
Good luck in your choice.

gun)

External appearance and finish may be better but internal is not any better then a Rem 700 SPS from what I have seen. I have had three of them in shop to build on. Customers got them because they figured the receivers would be match grade ready......

Could not be farther from the truth. Taking internal measurements on the receiver once the barrel is pulled shows they are no more square then any Rem 700 receiver and barrel thread fit is just as poor as well.

Crowns are also seldom better then the stock rifles. What you get is a bit more time put into the finish of the steel and generally an upgrade in wood quality and thats about it from what I can tell.

Lets just say it takes me just as much time to get a custom shop Rem 700 ready to build on as it does a $350 Rem 700 SPS and in the end they both shoot the same.

Just what I have seen working with them.

Kirby hit the nail on the head. I took my 06 KS Mountain rifle in to be turned into a 300WSM at SG&Y a few years ago and thought that the action would be at least square. As it turns out it was one of the worst ones that Stick had ever blue printed.

That rifle after the new tube, printing, proper bedding and a trigger job shoots consistently less than .4 moa out to 600 which is as far as I have shot it. The 06 I tried for years to get it under an inch and that included a trip back to Big Green.

Hey if you don't want to spring for the KS -there's the new """north american""" it's a blued heavy sporterweight? for only $2,243 -$2,413 --that's deal because it has an HS Precision stock !!!!!!!!!!

I'll say one thing -remington sure doesn't deserve us !!!!!!!!!!!! ---sucker born every minute tho.......

External appearance and finish may be better but internal is not any better then a Rem 700 SPS from what I have seen. I have had three of them in shop to build on. Customers got them because they figured the receivers would be match grade ready......

Could not be farther from the truth. Taking internal measurements on the receiver once the barrel is pulled shows they are no more square then any Rem 700 receiver and barrel thread fit is just as poor as well.

Crowns are also seldom better then the stock rifles. What you get is a bit more time put into the finish of the steel and generally an upgrade in wood quality and thats about it from what I can tell.

Lets just say it takes me just as much time to get a custom shop Rem 700 ready to build on as it does a $350 Rem 700 SPS and in the end they both shoot the same.

Just what I have seen working with them.

Had an idea thats what I would hear. Their list is around $2500.00 for that rifle!!!
Thanks
Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.