Remington 700 SPS- to be or not to be?

Prices I am finding for that 5R gen 2 are about $1000. That's not terrible, considering I was just going to transplant the action/barrel into a new stock anyway. I think that might be my way to go. I am just plinking at steel torsos (15"x20") so I can afford about 1.5 MOA honestly. In this case, a hit is a hit.
I have a good custom ELR rig, but the price of plugging away at closer targets with a .300 WM (and monolithic solids) is much too high to justify the barrel wear, powder, bullets, etc. as of recently, I have been doing a lot of mountainous 400-1000 yard shooting so I figured its time to substitute the 18 pound boom rod for a more practical rifle. I just didn't want to have to tear another rifle down, that process gets tedious when its just an implement of fun, and not for anything serious like hunting.
There are a lot of production rifles that fit that bill. Something that closely mirrors your 300 WM trajectory would be ideal. That's why I have been piecing together a 260 AI build.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.