Remington 700 sendero. 300 win

Joefrazell

So I just got my new sendero back from remington that I was having accuaracy issues along with marring on the brass. They did a few things and said the final was a accuracy test and it produced a 1.66" 3 shot group with 180 gr ammo. I'm definitely not pleased with that and hope to work a load that shoots at least .6 moa. What's your guys thoughts opinions. I've got a timney that will be going in it this weekend and plan on bedding the stock. I will be shooting 200gr. And heavier. If can't get it to shoot it will be sold. Give me opinions and thoughts.

1.66" 3 shot group from a Sendero ? Heck my old 788 shoots 1" with federal cheapy ammo. The purpose for buying a Sendero I thought was accuracy.

1.66" 3 shot group from a Sendero ? Heck my old 788 shoots 1" with federal cheapy ammo. The purpose for buying a Sendero I thought was accuracy.

Exactly. I feel ive got this heavy *** rifle I spent $1200 on. I've got a ruger American predator that I paid 1/3 the price and it shoots .4-.5" at 100 5 shot groups. Im gunna bed it as I wasn't wantin to until the factory checked it out for warrenty reasons. I'll bed it and shoot a few factory loads and if it won't get down to 1/2 moa it's getting sold. This is my second remington I've been less then pleased with and will be my last if I can't get it to shoot soon.

So I just got my new sendero back from remington that I was having accuaracy issues along with marring on the brass. They did a few things and said the final was a accuracy test and it produced a 1.66" 3 shot group with 180 gr ammo. I'm definitely not pleased with that and hope to work a load that shoots at least .6 moa. What's your guys thoughts opinions. I've got a timney that will be going in it this weekend and plan on bedding the stock. I will be shooting 200gr. And heavier. If can't get it to shoot it will be sold. Give me opinions and thoughts.
1.66" with cheap factory ammo isn't terrible, especially from a "factory accuracy test" in which you have no idea how serious they were about it.

Did they include the target?

In my experience you can almost always cut your groups by half loading your own.

Exactly. I feel ive got this heavy *** rifle I spent $1200 on. I've got a ruger American predator that I paid 1/3 the price and it shoots .4-.5" at 100 5 shot groups. Im gunna bed it as I wasn't wantin to until the factory checked it out for warrenty reasons. I'll bed it and shoot a few factory loads and if it won't get down to 1/2 moa it's getting sold. This is my second remington I've been less then pleased with and will be my last if I can't get it to shoot soon.
You aren't likely to ever get that kind of accuracy with factory ammo unless you're shooting some real premium factory stuff like I get from Prime Ammo to feed the .260's and .223's. I don't know what those guys are doing that's so much different from most of the ammo mfg's out there but so far I find theirs to be ridiculously accurate.

In my experience you can almost always cut your groups by half loading your own.[/QUOTE]

No they didn't include the target. I'll get it out shooting probably on sunday

You aren't likely to ever get that kind of accuracy with factory ammo unless you're shooting some real premium factory stuff like I get from Prime Ammo to feed the .260's and .223's. I don't know what those guys are doing that's so much different from most of the ammo mfg's out there but so far I find theirs to be ridiculously accurate.

I have been using Hornady cheap 223 ammo----$19.98/50 rds on sale. My MVP shoots 4 shots into a dime at 100 yds.

Factory ammo isn't going to tell you much about the accuracy potential of your gun. I have a Sendero in 300 Win that I'm working up loads for right now. I've done the same for several heavy-barrel Remingtons and all have been similar with regard to accuracy. They'll shoot around 1/2 to 3/4 moa without doing too much load development. Getting them to shoot tighter than that takes some luck or a bunch more work. I would get some Norma brass, H1000, and some 208 ELD-M or 215 Berger bullets and load them to 3.600" OAL. Shoot groups from 74.0 to 78.0 grains at whatever increments you like, and see how she does. You will most likely find a decent load between 76-78 grains.

Before shooting again I would clean your barrel really well. Most of these guns have nice smooth bores but some of them will get fouled after 20-30 shots. Accuracy will take a serious dump when they get fouled so keep it clean when doing your tests. Also pay close attention to your shooting rest and body position. Make them consistent for every shot and make sure your swivel studs aren't hitting anything as you shoot. Harder recoiling guns well exploit any weakness in your technique and you may think its the gun's fault.

Here are some recent targets from my Sendero. I was limited to 85 yards at this range but the groups show something important. This gun liked a milder load of 75 grains, and notice the other groups in the picture. Even with precision handloads the 77.0 grain group was over 1 moa. I have another rifle that shoots the 77.0 grain load very well, so you can't judge a gun based on one particular load.
87ED784B-B000-417F-B673-FAD6249944A9.png

These rifles are a good value for $1200 and the right handloads ought to shoot 1/2 to 3/4 moa with an experienced shooter behind the trigger. If you expect much more than that you'll likely be disappointed.

Id be trying bullets starting with 190s, and id also be more interested in 400 yd groups
than I would 100 yd groups.
Groups don't really matter anyway, dead animals do. lol

Thats great if you are just making a point blank shot. If you dial turrets 100y zero will have less environmental issues in the zero. In life there is no reason not to have a 100y/m zero with the exception of closer range hunting within 400y. using vital zone radius and max point blank.

Factory ammo isn't going to tell you much about the accuracy potential of your gun. I have a Sendero in 300 Win that I'm working up loads for right now. I've done the same for several heavy-barrel Remingtons and all have been similar with regard to accuracy. They'll shoot around 1/2 to 3/4 moa without doing too much load development. Getting them to shoot tighter than that takes some luck or a bunch more work. I would get some Norma brass, H1000, and some 208 ELD-M or 215 Berger bullets and load them to 3.600" OAL. Shoot groups from 74.0 to 78.0 grains at whatever increments you like, and see how she does. You will most likely find a decent load between 76-78 grains.

Before shooting again I would clean your barrel really well. Most of these guns have nice smooth bores but some of them will get fouled after 20-30 shots. Accuracy will take a serious dump when they get fouled so keep it clean when doing your tests. Also pay close attention to your shooting rest and body position. Make them consistent for every shot and make sure your swivel studs aren't hitting anything as you shoot. Harder recoiling guns well exploit any weakness in your technique and you may think its the gun's fault.

Here are some recent targets from my Sendero. I was limited to 85 yards at this range but the groups show something important. This gun liked a milder load of 75 grains, and notice the other groups in the picture. Even with precision handloads the 77.0 grain group was over 1 moa. I have another rifle that shoots the 77.0 grain load very well, so you can't judge a gun based on one particular load.
87ED784B-B000-417F-B673-FAD6249944A9.png

These rifles are a good value for $1200 and the right handloads ought to shoot 1/2 to 3/4 moa with an experienced shooter behind the trigger. If you expect much more than that you'll likely be disappointed.

People are what limit the guns accuracy potential. Accuracy nodes are good and getting some good load development is awesome, but factory ammo with shoot a minute of angle on less then ideal gun, with the right bullet/grain combination and IF THE SHOOTER DOES EVERYTHING RIGHT.

Yeah, I've shot h1000 and imr 7828 with 208 eldm and 165 interlocks. The 208's shot best anywhere from 1/4 moa to 2.5" it did seem to string bullet's so I'm thinking i need to bed it. I'll be doing that and installing the trigger tomorrow evening. I'll shoot Sunday evening. We will see how she does. I'm not giving up on the gun yet. It's truly a beautiful rifle. As far as my abilities I know I'm able to shoot 1/2 moa or better. I'm not saying I'm great but I can shoot well enough to tell if the gun is up tp the task. I'm wanting to take her out to 1000 on targets and 600 on elk/deer

It's not realistic to expect factory ammo to shoot half MOA. Sure you may get lucky but probably not.

For one thing, Remington uses awfully long throats. I have a gun just like yours and I have to seat far out past SAAMI to reach the lands.

Second, Remington barrels can be really porous even if accurate. Mine would shoot .3-.5 moa with optimiz d hand loads, but only for about 20 shots. Then it became a shotgun until I cleaned the massive copper deposits out. I did a Tubbs treatment on it and things are greatly improved.

Factory may go .5MOA out to 500 or so. Never seen single digit ES in factory so past that is another thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.