Remington 700 quality

Would you buy a Rem 700

• Yes

Votes: 555 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 190 25.5%

• Total voters
Gary,

Your analysis reads right however your logical timeline may not account for the incestuous relationship between Freedom Group and the Gov. Like a once good co-worker who now shows up late if he shows up at all, who's work has slipped and makes everyone else's work look bad and has the audacity to keep asking for a raise, Remington has become long in the tooth. Remaining static is a state of decline.

you know your gonna get hate mail on your post!!!!! But your words speak the truth. Corporations evolve thru time, and Remington is not evolving. They are pretty as they were in 1980. They will be pieced out in the near future unless somebody wakes up over there.
gary

gun)
What has happened to the Remington 700? Are they junk, has their quality gone down, or has everyone else become better?

I have always considered the 700 to be my favorite rifle but the last few years I don't see to many that I would buy or even like. My last few rifles have been Savage and Browning, I hope Remington gets it together before it's to late. I have shopped and looked at many of their rifles, the only current models I seem to like are the CDL, most of them seem to have cheap stocks, and even the floor plates dont line up.

hi to you all this is nick junior member, sorry but using forums is a bit hard for me to under stand, anyway i noted about remmys are they any good.

I like to say yes the 2 remmy i own are PSS 308 26" barrel with AIC mags hold 10 rounds, dropped into a Mcree ally stock. is shoot sub half inch at 100 yarrds, and load data is 155 scenar heads, viht 140 @ 46.5 gr, cci primers, lapua cases.its is screwed cut with muzzlw brake. NO IF I KNEW HOW TO PUT A PHOTO ONTO THIS FORUM I WOULD PROVIDE A PHOTO.

Secondly newest to the collection is 223 SPS 20" Tactical with T8 sound moddy. blind mag, i shoot single shot as i am learning to keep my head behind scope and not dilly dally my head about. it is zero at 100 yards, but now moved to 1" high so 200 yards is bang on. shoot sierra 69 heads hpbt , 26.5 gn viht 540, small cci primers in lapua and remmy cases. i also shoot warm targets using 45gn Bee heads, 23 gn of Hodgson 335 powder. scopes i use on 308 nightforce 12-42 x 56 NPR 2 reticle and sightron 6-24x50 mild dot reticle . Well thats is it for now so yes remmy rifles are fantastic !!!!!! these rifles are used both for target and for buisness.

these rifles are used both for target and for buisness.

Hi Nick,

That's how I use some of my rifles as well. Glad your Rems are shoot'in good. 223 & 308 are inherently accurate calibers. I think your excellent handloads and modifications deserve some credit as well.

hi to you all this is nick junior member, sorry but using forums is a bit hard for me to under stand, anyway i noted about remmys are they any good.

I like to say yes the 2 remmy i own are PSS 308 26" barrel with AIC mags hold 10 rounds, dropped into a Mcree ally stock. is shoot sub half inch at 100 yarrds, and load data is 155 scenar heads, viht 140 @ 46.5 gr, cci primers, lapua cases.its is screwed cut with muzzlw brake. NO IF I KNEW HOW TO PUT A PHOTO ONTO THIS FORUM I WOULD PROVIDE A PHOTO.

Secondly newest to the collection is 223 SPS 20" Tactical with T8 sound moddy. blind mag, i shoot single shot as i am learning to keep my head behind scope and not dilly dally my head about. it is zero at 100 yards, but now moved to 1" high so 200 yards is bang on. shoot sierra 69 heads hpbt , 26.5 gn viht 540, small cci primers in lapua and remmy cases. i also shoot warm targets using 45gn Bee heads, 23 gn of Hodgson 335 powder. scopes i use on 308 nightforce 12-42 x 56 NPR 2 reticle and sightron 6-24x50 mild dot reticle . Well thats is it for now so yes remmy rifles are fantastic !!!!!! these rifles are used both for target and for buisness.

I also shoot a 20" barreled .223 N.M. in a Remington 700. I absolutely love the the thing!! My barrel is a heavy contour 14 twist barrel, and I've pretty much settled on 55 grain Hornaday Vmax bullets over BLC2. I get 3274 fps, and have my zero set at 1.3" high. Have shot several dozen coyotes with it. Have been wanting to try N133, but the BLC2 just meters and shoots so well. Barrel is pretty much junk on the gun, and started out as a 26" barrel. Next barrel will be about 22" with the same contour in 1:12 twist or maybe even 1:10.
gary

G'Day Fella's,

As various others have already stated (and myself previously), I'm over the moon with the accuracy of my various current production Rem 700's!
Because of this, I'm starting to wonder about some of the owners of Rem 700's that apparently "Don't Shoot".
Maybe its their shooting ability, and not the rifle that's the problem?

Further to this, last weekend I was away for a hunt and a shot with my Rem 700 MLR .338Lap Mag. I had conducted a ladder test with handloads and achieved the following results;
98grn of ADI AR-2217 (H-1000),
250grn Hornady Spire Pt, CCI 250Mag primer,
Lapua cases.
Velocity of just over 3000fps.
These Hunting bullets were seated 0.020" off the lands and shot a 5 shot, 3/4" group at 100 meters! Sure, it was just one group but hey, I'm not about to complain! Just yesterday, I started to HBN coat the bullets (the above Hornady's, and a heap of Woodleigh 250grn VLD bullets), for this rifle and I also HBN treated it's bore. So I'm looking forward to see what effect this has on bore fouling, velocity and group size.

Doh!
Homer

I'm starting to wonder about some of the owners of Rem 700's that apparently "Don't Shoot".
Maybe its their shooting ability, and not the rifle that's the problem?

No doubt an unknown percentage of shooter error is the reason for inconsistent accuracy. Also, I know Remington has great accuracy potential. The real question is, will 90% of their rifles they ship all over the world shoot <1" like your rifles are doing. My Rems are all older and every one of them has needed something to get them to shoot better but I'm sure there's quite a few people who would very willingly trade you one of their factory Rems that doesn't shoot for one of yours that does.:) The results could go a long was towards salvaging Remington's reputation.

G'Day Mike .338,

I think I own 7 various Remingtons (600, 673 & 700's) they all shoot but this, like yourself has only come about after Post Factory intervention!
Probably the least effort has been with the 700 MLR in .338 Lapua Mag.
Other than reducing the trigger pull to 2 1/2 Lbs and loading ammo to suit the chamber and lead of rifle, the only real thing I have done to it, was Lap the bolt locking lugs to about a 50% contact, on both lugs!
This kind of post factory tweaking, could in my experience, be applied to ALL other factory B/action rifles, other than maybe a Blaser R8 and it's predecessor!

Hell, this rifle still sits in the HS Precision stock, just as it came from the factory (no epoxy bedding job)!

Can't wait to give the HBN coated bullets a run down range and over the chronograph!!!

Merry Christmas Mate!

Doh!
Homer

hi to you all, i noted in the preview post there is some good feed back for remmington rifles, i see we have just celebrated 50 or more years of these fine rifles.

they make excellent choice for a rifle job and triggers are getting better with the accu
trigger ( i think it is called ) please correct me if i am wrong. In some films we see remmington rifles being used by police and swat

i will later on buy another remmington rifle for my deer stalking as the PSS Remmy is well to heavy to carry like another sps tactical in 308 .

Well i am off now , all the best for xmas and will catch up in new year 2013. gun)

G'Day Fella's,

Nick, I have No reservations about recommending a Remington 700 to anybody!
But personally, I think the Best Hunting Rifle Buy on the market at present (at least in Australia), is the Howa Model 1500 bolt action rifle!!!

Hope that helps

Merry Christmas to all

Doh!
Homer

hi homer Oz , yes all my rifles are 700 models, we shoot a comp in the uk known as Mcqueens,it is a Huns head placed in front of a small window via pole for a count of 3 secs. 2 targets appear one for you and one for your partner, each huns head has either orange or green tag ,u pick a colour and that is your target it appears in the wall of windows ten times and the wall is some 20/30 metres long wall.

between each expose there is 5 secs given to load rifle, shot @ 200 and 300 yards.
Sorry my point is using my 308 i was :cool: **** at this comp. Going on to 223 remmy and first comp 80 out of 200. i know this may seem bad to some folk, but for me this was a little miracle and i even surprised my self .

yes you are well correct, here in the uk the howa rifle is doing well, it was the money issue for me as i was in gun shop after sps tactical when a guy turned around and offered me the sps @hallf price , here in uk these rifle cost £789.00 .lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.