Remington 700 ml ?

kc

Well I harvested the strangest Deer I have ever encountered, he was a five pt the size of a big yearling he was about 149lbs. I seen fawns his size.

Now for the question..I have always loved my friends Remington ML it looks just like the 700 but black powder. I found a new one in the box never shot,,, never left the store.($210.00) But I was told I cant find any replacemement parts and if the barrel needs replacing I might as well toss it. (niple etc)
what can you tell me? I used his this season and I love it! Accurate!
I was told that Black Powder has come a long way now and it wont eat the barrels like the powder of 10 years ago.
I was recomended triple777, its clean and it wont foul and corode as bad.

Can I get parts if I need them?

I had one of these several years ago. I bought it because I'm a remington man and it looked just like a regular rifle. Here's what I didn't like--there was a delay between the 209 primer firing and the ignition of the powder, much like a firing a flintlock. I changed to loose powder, and the problem disappeared. I switched to an Encore because my brother bought me one for Xmas. Just seemed like Remington was trying to get involved in an area they didn't belong. Ruger and Winchester did the same, they are no longer made either. BUT--if you like it, and it's only $200, then who cares if the barrel doesn't last forever?

KC, I have one (.50) and because of my own neglect the barrel is pitted from one end to the other. It still shoots better than any of the BP rifles my friends are toting. She shoots 1-1.5" @ 100 regularly. I shoot the TC Shockwaves. 230 grainers I think.

Standard Pyrodex pellets for me.

A friend of mine bought the same model in .54 and that thing has been a turd from day one. The only thing that will shoot are the Powerbelts and from my experience those things are like shooting solids.

As far as parts I bought a ramrod and various other parts last year....a barrel may be tough to come by though (know idea).

I have one and it is my go to ML , Mine is in 50 cal and it shoots the Barns expanders
great .

I use 777 granules and a standard percussion cap loaded to max and it will drop
deer in thier tracks.

As far as the barrel and parts you should never need to replace anything if you take care
and use good cleaning practices.

All muzzle loaders must be cleaned or they will corrode and be ruined.

The remingtion is easy to clean and maintain and at that price I would buy another one
just to have it.

My long'est shot on deer was 187 yrds using a red dot sight ,I have not tryed a scope
because some states do not allow them but I know it will shoot well beyond 200yrds

It will shoot 1 MOA when I'm doing my part.

J E CUSTOM

One of my friends who loaned me his Remi ML, changed to another size nipple and a few other things and uses Magmun primers? I don't understand what all he changed, but have any of you experenced any powder flash back in your face? I was told buy a guy they are known for this. I realy like this Muzzleloader but my buddy who loaned me his rifle has never heard of this.

KC.

KC

The in lines are not bad about back flash, But if you open the flash hole on a side
hammer Muzzle loader it is quite common because of the increase in square inches
of surface under the hammer.

The increase will often lift the hammer enough to lose it's seal allowing back flash.

I have never encounterd this problem with the bolt type muzzel loaders.

J E CUSTOM

KC, the aftermarket 209 conversion for early 700ML's left a lot to be desired. The 209 nipple had slots all the way around so plenty of gas and particles get by. They recommended taking the plastic protector sleeve off when using 209's otherwise it would eventually get blown apart and or melt.

Standard percussion caps are all you need and they work just fine. Forgot to mention that is all I'm using.

I have an old 54 Cal. that is picky but I still shoot it. The thing I hate is having to clean inside the bolt sleeve so it will go off. I still use caps and I have to clean the bolt too often. I've also found the rifle will group OK if I clean between shots.

Remington discontinued this ML for a reason...they just plain miss the boat on ML building 101... On the other hand they re-took the course and got it right with the new Genesis, which I own... Excellent ML. Now if you know a lot about muzzelloaders you won't spend a ton of money trying to find a load to shot accurate from this gun. I get 1/2" MOA @ 100 yards and 1.25" at 200. Some of the most expensive ML out there won't get that if the shooter doesn't have the knowledge. IMO I wouldn't spend the money on the 700, but would save up another $90 and get the Genesis and do my home work on load development. Do yourself a favor and don't use pellets...loose powder always. Preferred powder Blackhorn 209. Shoot a sabot bullet and give the gun a chance to break in. 40 - 50 rounds. Clean between each shot on the bench!!!You won't be disappointed!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.