Remington 700 Long Range - 25-06

WVGodsCountry

Hello Gentlemen,

I purchased a Remington 700 Long Range with 26" bbl approx 1 month ago. Went out yesterday and tried to work up a load for her and didn't have much success. I'm not an expert shooter or reloader so there is a HIGH probability that some of the variance in bullet placement has to do with my abilities. Also, yesterday was the first time the gun had been shot, so the bbl was broken in by shooting once, cleaned with Butch's bore cleaner, and allowed to rest for approx 15 minutes between each shot.

Using 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, I started out with 54.4 grains of RL 22, then went to 55.5 grains, and finished up with 56.5 grains. The majority of these loads resulted in 1 inch groups. We then tried 3 rounds of RL 19, which led to the same results.

So my questions are: are any of you reloading 25-06 using 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips out of a 26" bbl? If so, what type of powder are you having success with? What type of accuracy should I expect from this $750 rifle?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 481
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 609
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 448
I can't help you with that round but,
I just picked up. A 7mag in this . I believe this gun is the better deal compared to sendero. I hope mine shows better results!
I reload, I try and keep tolerances tight. Did you use a caol gauge ? I start at like 5 thousandth off and load about five, then load some at 10,15,20 thousandths off lands. I usually find a group in there thats shoots great. Then theres different powder grain increments and so on. But you should be able to watch your groups get worse/better then tweek it.

You may need to shoot more bullets down the tube to get it broken in. How many varies. Things I would do is to take the action out of the stock, check and clean everything. Make sure the magazine box isn't touching and the front action screw isn't rubbing on the bolt lugs. Retorque the action and make sure the barrel is free floating. My 700 seems to like Noslers accuracy load for 100 NBT with R19. I would also double check the scope mounting and I recomend lapping the rings if you haven't already.

Some of my rifles seem to shoot great right out of the box and other have taken a bunch of shooting and some tinkering. Once you get it consistant, lets say 1 1/4 groups every time for an example, then you can start working on load development and bullet seating depth.

I have a Sendero that likes the 75 grain v-max with Hogdens max load printed on the H4350 can. Another 25-06 shoots the same bullet with Varget really well. The R19 load I use the the 100 NBT could shoot better but, its dropped everything I have pointed at so I am leaving well enough alone.

I am a real fan of the 25-06 and the one thing it has taught me is that I don't have to shoot 5 shot 1 hole groups to be successful hunting. I have dropped to 3 shot groups to check accuracy/consistantly and focus on first shot cold barrel point of impact being consistantly the same. If my rifle hits the same place on the first cold barrel shot and the second shot is a 1 inch or under in grouping I am a happy coyote hunter.

Hope this helps. Hang in there you will like the 25-06!

I thought it was a good deal too. I've been looking for a Long Range 25-06... was going to buy a Sendero 25-06 but they've been discontinued. (My father in law has a Sendero 25-06 that shoots great.) I was trying to compete with him for half the price. :)

We were shooting at max casing length of 3.200". Didn't try to tweak overall length at all. I'm going to put in alot more work on this gun and find out what works.

Good luck with your 7mm mag. Let me know how she shoots!

Bowlseye

I've only shot approx 25 rounds through the gun. I personally need alot more practice too. I'm trying to stick with 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips because I bought 400 bullets. :)

Going to tweak casing length next weekend. Will post some results. Thanks for the responses!

Give it some time, take action out and look at the fit. Even with blocked action I will still bed the lug. Work on the trigger setting and get some more range time. Typically the sierra manual with the accuracy load will produce good results. You have a great gun now you just have to believe in it gun)

Every 2506 I've loaded for liked IMR4350 if u have some I would try it. Also on breaking in a barrel I don't really believe in that had a gunsmith tell me the just shoot the rifle. All my rifles I get I just go to shooting them and clean after 20-25 rounds never had one that didn't shoot decent by doing this.

As stated, she's not even broke in yet. Keep loading but I would do what I said serious! I love the fit/feel/look of the new model long range! I think their a sexy gun to being matte black!! It appears like some beautiful country behind in pic! Keep loading and tweeking. I wouldn't recommend switching to many bullets. Pick one and find where it shoots best, could take patience! Good luck bud,

WVGodsCountry

Congratulations on the new rifle. If I understood correctly you have a factory Rem 700 that shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards on your first try and you are not happy with it. That is a 1 MOA gun right out of the box. In my book that is good not bad. It says you should be able to work it down to 0.5 MOA without too much trouble and most guys including me can't really shoot that good in hunting situations. Is this some sort of special Rem 700 that is guaranteed to do better than 1 MOA?

A couple comments. RL-22 and RL-19 both suck for temp stability. Were I you I would consider H4831SC, H4350 or Ramshot Magnum which are all exhibit good temp stability. Also, though you don't want to hear it, I think the BTs are bit too explosive at 25-06 velocities for most applications. I would probably use them for practice and switch to the 100 grain Barnes TTSX for hunting - assuming that you are a hunter.

I shoot a remington sendaro in 25-06. I had it bedded other than that it's stock. I have shot 87 grain Speer hollow points, 85 grain ballistic tips and 115 grain ballistic tips. My best groups have been with 115 gr bt's and IMR 4350. Groups are consistently .75 " at 200yrds. All bullet combinations were easily 0.75 MOA.
I have shot a pile of critters with this gun. I leant it to a friend who's wife shot a moose with it this past fall. This was with a 115 gr BT witha mb of 3205. I think the bt held up just fine. I have shot a few deer with the 85 br BT. Not so great results. I love the 115 gr bt's

This was recovered from the moose. Bullet was on the offside in the hide and shot through 2 ribs. This was a combined technology silver ballistic tip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 345
WV- nice pic of some pretty country. how far off the lands are you with your chosen bullet?

As for the reason I "seasoned" the bbl... my father in law does it this way. He is an skilled long ranger shooter and has been playing with guns for way longer than I have. He said to do it like that, so that's what I do.

Engineering 101 - You're right. For the first day of shooting, she didn't do too bad. There was no sub moa guarantee with this rifle. I do plan on using a Barnes TSX or Nosler accubond for hunting purposes. But I do want to dial it in with the cheap Nosler BT's first.

If I can't get the 100 grains to work, I'll step it up to 115 grain and try it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.